PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot modes HELP

ollycopter
4th Aug 2005, 08:16
Hey guys. Having a bit of brain dump. Have a sim session on a Citation V and am struggling with the modes.. Could anyone give me a quick run down on the functions of IAS FLC V/S and NAV settings? I just need a booster. Its been so long since I flew and this sim ride came up quickly. Had little time to do something about it. I have left all my books abroad for weight travel reasons but this site could yet be a job saver. If anyone could help I would be forever in their debt. Many thanks. Ollycopter

checklist69
4th Aug 2005, 09:50
Seems to me you are not ready for that sim check!
:rolleyes:

ollycopter
4th Aug 2005, 09:55
Oh thanks, just what I needed to hear.. No I am not but what do you do when something like this comes up? Not take a job cos you are not ready? Nice one, cheers..

Air Driven Generator
4th Aug 2005, 10:16
Maybe this may help..

Good luck with interview - we were all there once

Its possibly not all relevant to you, but may answer some of your questions.

ADG

http://www.concordesst.com/autopilot.html

Mzee
4th Aug 2005, 12:44
Hope this helps;

FLC - Flight Level Change, poorly worded title it's airspeed hold mode overides all active vertical modes except VNAV if you have it.
Best used in climb, rotate speed bug to desired speed and adjust power to climb setting and accept whatever climb rate you get. Can be used in descent but awkward to keep vertical speed with power.

VS - Vertical Speed, best used in descent vary speed with power.

NAV - does what it says on the tin!, it will track selected course or track, be it VOR or FMS nav info.

His dudeness
4th Aug 2005, 15:47
what Mzee said.
Be aware: you could end up NOT climbing if you use FLC (say at 250 knots) at high altitudes.
Using V/S in a climb may bring you into a stall.
Any change of NAV source will revert the FD to the ROLL mode - so if you´re switching check that the NAV mode is reengaged...

ollycopter
4th Aug 2005, 16:40
Hey thanks alot to all the guys that wrote back and helped.. I appreciate it so much.. Brain dump is a terrible thing and happens to you at some point but I did much better today and feel much more comfortable. Yesterday I had an instructor that pushed a little hard for a first sim ride I think but you learn from everything so I have no hard feelings. Thanks again guys.. Happy landings... Olly

ssg
4th Aug 2005, 16:53
Read the books, get a GPU, sit on the ground with the avionics running untill you know what your doing.

ollycopter
4th Aug 2005, 17:08
Will do as soon as they let me near the dam aircraft.. Just simming at the moment and it is busy 24/7 Funny thing is all the books I have have nothing on the autopilot system. Have left all my ATPL books in UK as was weight restricted when I travelled here.. Cheers, Olly