PDA

View Full Version : Air France A340 - Lightning Strike

praenoscere
3rd Aug 2005, 05:01
Heard over the news this morning that an Air France A340 was hit by lightning last night as it landed at Toronto , and subsequently burst into flames.Fortunately no fatalities , but a few injured.

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 06:30
I am sure everyone has seen the footage by now.

Absolutely amazing that everyone came out alive !

I pressume 20 odd years ago we would have had a "few deaths"?

Airliner Safety has really become of age. :ok:

Exhaust Manifold
3rd Aug 2005, 06:37
Very amazing.

Never heard of lightning doing that before, seen many pics of aircraft being struck and they all came out ok except for some fried electrics.

glimmerman_alpha
3rd Aug 2005, 07:11
Apparently when the lighting struck on landing the electrical equipment failed and a tyre burst. That may have caused no brakes and the overrunning of the runway.

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 07:13
Yip I have never heard of it as well but more and more pax said the electrics failed just before touch down and a witness on the ground said just before touch down there was a hughe lightning strike.

The airport was open and closed the whole day due to bad weather.

Beechdrivr
3rd Aug 2005, 08:45
According to a news report late last night they were mentioning that the aircraft aquaplaned.... certainly makes more sense, oh and micro bursts in the vicinity at the time of the accident.

Beta Light
3rd Aug 2005, 09:09
Way to early for any one to speculate, but
a) Pretty sure it was not a lightning strike, only thing really in modern aircraft will be a compass wing after landing.
b) Compliment to Air France cabin crew training department
c) Well done to Airbus safety ( but still think the A380 will be more challenging on evacuation)

sky waiter
3rd Aug 2005, 09:48
pic on www.airliners.net, not sure how to paste it here looks pretty wrecked surprised everyone survived!!! Well done to the crew!

Gunship
3rd Aug 2005, 10:35
Like this .... ;)

http://photos.airliners.net/middle/0/7/3/892370.jpg

sky waiter
3rd Aug 2005, 11:59
Thanx gunns that helps alot...:ok: :ok:

bigmanatc
3rd Aug 2005, 15:26
So where`s the African connection here....?

4HolerPoler
3rd Aug 2005, 15:32
I was wondering the same. Let's close this one down. Africa rules.

4HP