PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways

teknikaltap
31st May 2000, 15:09
Greetings all,
I have been reading the Forum on Qatar Airways from Flight Deck and was wondering has anyone had any Engineering experience with the same gang as I have heard they are looking for Airbus Engineers.Is it really as negative as is being made out?

Jango
1st Jun 2000, 13:13
I went out there as Planning Manager designate at the end of '98, destined to replace the guy who was leaving within a couple of months. I left before he did,as did 7 engineers. (pay and contract my main reasons)

In all fairness, the Eng Manager, Tom Botha is a very good guy and is trying hard to turn things around. Problem is they do have political problems with HR and the real world and I can not see them paying so well for lic engineers. I know Tom managed to get a few SA guys to come in, but I am not sure if they are still there.

Best bet, apply and get a trip out there for an interview to see for yourself. Bear in mind Qatar is small, flat, desert. Beer no problem, (women ,if your single..more of a problem) Social life around sports and home entertainment. You need to get an exit visa everytime you want to leave..so quick weekends away in DXB are not that simple.

Good luck -

teknikaltap
1st Jun 2000, 17:55
Thanks for the info Jango.Will probably throw my hat in the ring and see what happensYou sound like you were happy to get out,did you have any problems with your contract?

Jango
2nd Jun 2000, 10:49
The HR manager at the time was a right pratt, ex Emirates and he basically goofed up the contract so what was promised at the interview did not materialise in the contract. I thought I could sort it out when I was there .. but you know these kind of charactors, they will not give in..loss of face etc. It happened to a few folks, cabin crew too, just after the mass exodus at the end of 98, they fired him. So hopefully they have a better guy now.

I will say the housing was good and the work environment okay, new offices and Doha airport is having a big face lift, and with a new fleet..should be a breeze.

Go along for the experience mate, you have nothing to lose seeing what they have to offer.