PDA

View Full Version : Spybot v MS Security Centre

None of the above
2nd Aug 2005, 19:06
Spybot has found these two objects:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

I haven't fixed either of these as

(a) They may be benign, or

(b) It would mean tampering with the registry and that is likely to be a case of 'Abandon hope, all ye who enter here'.

Any thoughts, Gentleman?

Thanks,

N o t a

Conan the Librarian
2nd Aug 2005, 20:05
Think this is the MS switch to over-ride existing anti virus packages, but not sure.

Lets do a little recent history. Hackers have found so many holes in the cosmic abyss of Windows, that MS developed and rolled out Service Pack 2. This was largely a collection of tools to make XP less vulnerable and its centrepiece, is the MS Security centre which can be found in the control panel. This introduced a firewall and various other bits to patch up the sinking ship. I suspect that what you see, are switches related to this security centre within SP2.

Bad things can happen with SP2 such as being unaware that it has introduced a firewall and over ridden your hopefully, existing article. A lot of anti Virus and firewall products are bundled together and these switches - I guess- are just part of that provision.

Existing progs should notice and recognise SP2 and vice versa, but I think MS were slightly unsure for the first few days in case some did not. Me? I wouldn't worry about them if you are sure that you have an active A/V package and firewall (but just one!) running.

Others will hopefully give better and more definitive advice.

Cheers,

Conan

BLUE SKY THINKER
3rd Aug 2005, 08:08
The answer is not far away (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=183444)

None of the above
3rd Aug 2005, 16:36
Conan and BST.........

Many thanks for your responses.
Perhaps my post should be used as an object lesson in the 'How to use the search function' section of the forthcoming PPRuNe User's Guide.
I can only plead terminal sleep deprivation from which I have suffered for the last century or so, as a causal factor.

Thanks again, chaps.

N o t a