PDA

View Full Version : SAAF Rooivalk Development : More Finances Needed

Gunship
2nd Aug 2005, 15:11
A further R600m is required to complete the development of South Africa's Rooivalk attack helicopter, it was reported in Parliament on Tuesday.

According to a report released to the Parliamentary defence committee, R200m per annum over the next three years was needed.

The report on a visit to 16 Squadron outside Bloemfontein which is home to the helicopter, said a further R40m a year was needed to operate the aircraft of which R10m would be needed to buy missiles for the war machine.

The helicopter, designed for low level flying providing air support to ground forces with its air-to-ground missiles, air-to-air missiles, rockets and 20mm canon, has been under development for more than 10 years with the first experimental models appearing in 1995/1996.

The report indicated that Rooivalk sales had been hampered by the political nature of arms sales and the lack of sufficient weapons testing.

Twelve helicopters have been delivered to the South African Air Force but weapons and certain test involving advanced night flying and electronic warfare self-protection systems were still being integrated.

The helicopter's development was further retarded with the restructuring of its primary contractor, Denel, and the recruiting of and retaining of skilled personnel staff at Denel and the SA Air Force, the report said.

"The sub-systems of the Rooivalk are selling well, which is proof that there is a role for the Rooivalk," the report said, citing reasons why the development work should not be suspended.

News 24 (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1747730,00.html)

goaround7
2nd Aug 2005, 17:25
Would be nice if it were a success story but who will buy it ? (Except maybe the Chinese to steal the technology and build one of their own for half the price ?)

Surely the logistics and support issues (not exactly Denel's strong point either) will mean that US or Eurocopter models will be preferred ?

Unless it's very, very cheap ? Is it ?

B Sousa
2nd Aug 2005, 21:18
Was a good idea............ten years ago. Its history and of no use to anyone, let alone the taxpayer who is funding this thing......
Wheres the threat?? Zim, Mozambique, Zambia?? You could gather enough force from the Rotor Arms on a good first Tuesday to kick all their asses in the Prezs. BK 117.
Hey, if nothing else it looks good at Air Shows........

Parrot
2nd Aug 2005, 21:36
Hey..correct me if I am wrong , but I think Iraq has proved the end of the attack helicopter theory ...it just seems too easy to shoot down Apache's. Them fling wings are just too easy a target. It seems the US has also seen the light by canceling the Commanche despite millions of $ already been spent.

Consider this ...you can have one Rooivalk or about 40 L-39's with hardpoints to blast the bad guys ...now choose your waepons...

Beta Light
3rd Aug 2005, 02:08
18 years to late, needed a Squadron in Ondang's. No more need for it.

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 07:34
Just imagine 10 -20 Rooivalke at Ondanks in the early 80's ... I am not a profit of doom but hell I am sure we could have ended in Cairo if needed ... especially with backing from Cheetah's and Oryx's ... Casa 212's / 235's C-130 / C-160 's .. man war can be so easy ;)

Then again we had Real Orca and his pampoentorre as back -up :E:E:E

I am sure he will remind me that he was a F1 driver as well (before he became overweight) :ouch:

itaxi
5th Aug 2005, 13:36
The only nation and person who would want it , for free, would be Mbeki's brother, Mugabe !

You have to be a total moron to fund such a project. Nothing has been accomplished in so many years other than supplying the SAAF. NOBODY wants the Rooivalk.

Latent Heat
5th Aug 2005, 14:11
Let me guess....another petrol price hike?????

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 14:13
Pro USA : NOBODY wants the Rooivalk.

You already copied it ... so yes you are right ... :E

Deanw
5th Aug 2005, 14:24
itaxi wrote:
NOBODY wants the Rooivalk.

Hmmm, the British wanted it, but the Americans put a stop to that. The Malaysians were just about to sign when the financial Far East crisis blew that idea away. The Brazilians were interrested, maybe some Middle-East country, but ... :{

itaxi
5th Aug 2005, 18:17
Yeah, you'r right, Pro USA but also proud SA'n.

What they should have done was follow the strategy used for the 155mm G6 and other howitzers and maybe the Middle East would have bought them earlier !

Another opportunity lost was to send some to Iraq and prove they are better in the dusty/sand conditions seeing as Apache's had some problems. If a chopper can beat the highveld sand surely this was the time to market the plane !

goaround7
5th Aug 2005, 22:29
Why not sell the whole project to the Americans, then they can buy and use 'their' helicopter, with their own weapons systems and make some of that SA tax payers' money back ?

itaxi
8th Aug 2005, 15:42
That would not have been a bad idea since SA had no weaponary for the Rooivalk top start with !!!!! Might have made some money and generated some income. This way the chopper would also be out of the hands of some dubious african leaders like SA's neighbour in crime !