PDA

View Full Version : CFI training in USA

Hingmay
2nd Aug 2005, 10:35
Hi u lot. Its shme, Hingmay... Im looking at doing a CAA/JAA CFI course plus some ratings (Twin) in the USofA for me resettlement. Looking at Helicopter Adventures Inc in Florida. Any of u lot got any experience with this lot and gen advise?? Im all alone and scared!! Baa Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated xx

BEagle
2nd Aug 2005, 11:37
I had an application from someone who'd obtained his JAA FI(R) Rating in the US - and had also done the overwhelming majority of his flying in the US, including his CPL. So, square root of bug.ger all use to me as a FI at PPL level due to his complete lack of relevant UK experience (airspace, weather, techniques, RT etc etc).

If you're looking for employment afterwards, why train in another country?

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Aug 2005, 15:09
If you're looking for employment afterwards, why train in another country? Cos it's cheaper and you get to fly every day with no landing fees, into major airports if you want and with no magnetic variation, plus afterwards, you can continue your studies on the white sanded beaches surrounded by bikini wearing college girls ...who lurve the English accent.

but you raise a good point. Maybe learn there and come back to Blighty for "Finishing School".

The Nr Fairy
2nd Aug 2005, 15:19
Is Hingmay UK Mil, on his way out the door, looking to spend cash getting valuable civvy ratings ?

If so he's liable to be conversant at least with UK airspace, and the poling is the same cos the laws of physics at least are consistent between countries.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Aug 2005, 17:15
...even apparently the laws governing the existence of matter (or not as the case may be)

(thinly veiled jibe)

henry crun
2nd Aug 2005, 21:56
Back in the days when the RAF trained pilots in Rhodesia and Canada the problems Beagle refers to was covered.

When they returned they were all given a 3 month acclimatisation course.

Hingmay
3rd Aug 2005, 11:58
Hi, Thx 4 response. The thing in my favour, as someone thought, is that I am a mil pilot with loads of uk experience (over 3000 hrs). With me being scottish Im just looking for the cheap option and the USA seems good. Can achieve more for less plus I get a holiday. (free accn thro resettlement grain :-))

MadsDad
3rd Aug 2005, 12:49
henry. The RAF still does some training in Canada.

I know one pilot quite well who did part of his training there recently and then went straight into OCU on his return (the NFTS scheme) and I believe that is the norm for pilots trained that way. (Would OCU count as re-acclimatisation).