PDA

View Full Version : Where's good to work

jobsworth
27th Feb 2000, 03:27
As i am new to this site i thought i would take full advantage of the wealth of knowledge that is out there.
My question is this.
I am about to start the licence by post scheme and when i eventually gain my a licence who would be best to work for. Also would it be better for me to do my c licence before leaving the raf.
Judging by the complaints of standards being lowered i have cheered up some what as i thought the exams were going to be rock.
By the way my motive is cash and the more the better.
One more thing i dont care what i get called i.e Tech or engineer as long as it pays more than what i get now, I am 24 and on 19 grand a year.
Cheers!

spannersatcx
28th Feb 2000, 00:37
Jobsworth, a lot of things to take into consideration, i.e. location, cost of housing, prospects etc etc. Assuming you can go anywhere in the UK. From a personal point of view a good grounding is to start off in a hangar environment. A couple of reasons, less time constraints compared with the ramp, yes I know you have to get a/c out in the morning or next week but when you only have a 45-60min turn things can be a bit hectic and you're having to think on your feet and use your experience and judgement, remember no martin baker seats to aid escape, especially for the 400 down the back, who are all moaning about something or other not working. Also in the hangars there are a lot of people you can learn from, if you get into heavy stuff you are really down to the nuts and bolts of things and you learn far more of where things are, what they do and how to fix them. Which if in later years will be invaluable on the ramp. It may be worth looking at the following BAMC which I think has a website at http://www.bamc.co.uk based at Cardiff international! airport. B747 and now 777 major maintenance, I did a few years there, started before the hangar was even built. FLS either Stanstead or Manchester, major maintenance in the hangars from 737 to DC10 and a range in between http://www.flsaerospace.com/ also have a thriving ramp operation. Marshalls at http://www.marshallaerospace.com/ BMA at Heathrow and East mids Monarch at Luton/Manchester http://www.monarch-airlines.com/ BA http://www.british-airways.com/sitegide/docs/atoz.shtml and I'm sure there are loads more. Air 200o ramp only http://www.air2000.co.uk/jobs.htm
You could always ask the ALAE at http://www.lae.mcmail.com who may be able to advise you, there is an e-mail facility and various links on the site.
By the way 19K is, I believe, around the average salary for non-certifying mechanic. However there is always the opportunity for OT but you'll have to put some hours in. You'll also need your own tools except at places like BAMC expect to pay at least 2K for something 1/2 decent.

Good luck.

Don't get lulled into a false sense at standards being lowered, not a good frame of mind to be in, it still isn't easy it's just a bit easier than it was 5-10 years ago.

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 27 February 2000).]

jobsworth
28th Feb 2000, 20:08
Thanks a lot for the info i will be sure to look into it.I dont want to come across as gash either it was just friendly banter

Blacksheep
29th Feb 2000, 16:59
"Per Ardua Ad Astra" - Best job I ever had.
Worst paid as well :)

As I understand it you want more cash in your hand. So, get out, get your ticket and some time on a type like the A340 or 747-400, become an expat and kiss the taxman goodbye. It's not so much fun as you have now but the pay's OK. Another tip. Try qualifying on bizz jets - Gulfstreams etc. then try for a nice number in a VVIP Flight somewhere. You'll need personal contacts to get in, but you may pick up a few while you're learning.
Anyone got any better ideas?

Through difficulties to the cinema

rover2701
5th Mar 2000, 20:56
The best job in the business is without a doubt a manufacturers Representative. Good expenses, stay in the best hotels, car or car allowance and the salary isn't to bad either. Downside. Putting up with all the gripes from the customer. Being on call 24 hours a day. Trying to explain why the manufacturer is trying to screw the airline.(in the nicest possible way)Trying to explain to the manufacturer why the airline is trying to screw them(in the nicest possible way).
Not a job for everyone, but someone who is well experienced in all aspects of the aircraft. A.C.X.R. AFGS. and does not mind being away from home for lengthy periods in some delightful as well as dumps, it can be a rewarding job.
Believe or not it is seen as a prestigeous and respected position by some airlines.

------------------
Clean Hands

aeroguru
6th Mar 2000, 16:05
Get onto some of the agencies,and try to find an outstation job.Not too busy though,say around 3 flights per week max.
Location should be tax free,warm and sunny with nice beaches and women and a laid back attitude to life.Salary around 50g plus exes.
Tell the missus you are off to Saudi.
Get em to give you a pager so if they absolutely got to get hold of you(say there is a concession to get because the local contracted maint.airline has exhausted all their powers).You could then get to a phone near the beach.Probably in some bar where your credit is good.
But,before you accept this tough assignment please phone me with all the details ,cos that should be my job!

jobsworth
7th Mar 2000, 04:23
Great to here all the gen keep it coming , even if the jobs are the dream ones.

CONES R US
7th Mar 2000, 19:37
I would suggest working in a hangar as a contractor, even unlicensed. There is a lot of experience to be gained and the money is good.
Pick up a copy of Flight International and at the back you will see adverts for agencies. I have worked for Capital, Parc, Wynnwith and a few others and there's not much to chose between them, they'll all find you a job and treat you ok. Just send them a CV and certificate copies and awawy you go.

------------------
NO FAULT FOUND

rerackit
11th Mar 2000, 00:00
As you say you are going for your C licence, it would suggest you are an engine fitter in the raf. I am sure you are aware that you will need to become an rigger in civvy street. However, some companies, historically, still loosely use the old raf trade boundaries when it comes to engines. FLS at Stansted has a number of a&c engineers who are sooties thru and thru. (Or at least they did when i worked there). However, chronic shortages of engineers is probably putting a stop to this.
As i mentioned, i used to work at fls, and although plenty of people have bad things to say about the company, it could be a good option for you for a number of reasons.
1. With licences and overtime you could expect to double your pay. (I wouldnt get out of bed for 19k!)
2. 3rd party maintenance is ideal for experience and courses. (I did 7 type courses when i was there).
3. There are still a lot of good blokes working there even though the management havent got a clue.
Incidentally, you are leaving the raf at a good time. The manpower situation in the industry is desperate. This has come about over the last ten years because of the following;
1. The end of the cold war has meant cut backs in the forces. The industry used to rely heavily on a constant flow of experienced engineers leaving the raf. This has dried up considerably.
2. The recession in the early nineties meant early retirement for many seasoned engineers and cost saving cutbacks meant training and apprenticeships were put on hold.
3. Kids leaving school want a job with a suit, a computer and a mobile phone.Oddly enough, they dont seem to keen to spray freight bays with dinitrol! cant think why.

All this adds up to a very healthy condition for the experienced, qualified engineer. Leaving the air force will be the best thing you will ever do.

Finally, the suggestion to go contracting is a good one. Not only will you gain good experience and good money, but you will be able to sample a few places before you move. If you get your a&c, you may find that you will get relocation expenses.

Good luck.

phyxit
12th Mar 2000, 08:39
Um, all due respect to you big airplane fixers, but I'm still really enjoying fixing little survey aircraft.
You get 1 aircraft all to yourself so after a while it's up to your own personal standards, travel (as was said, some good spots, some really bad), stay out a while and the taxman forgets you.
Job Statisfaction.
Spannersatcx was dead on about hangar working before field or ramp work. Nothing worse than learning a system while the wind blows hot sand down your back or up yer...never mind.
If you're a pilot, even a private pilot, you'll be that much more valuable to a survey company. If you can deal with computers you're just as valuable, but more of a dweeb.

Speedwing
12th Mar 2000, 21:02
Go work for BA.
Be overworked, over fatigued, over stressed, ignored, lied to, promised much and given nothing, treated like idiots by greater idiots in offices.
If there were no staff travel most would leave tomorrow!

Go contracting, be your own boss.

NFF_PRF
12th Mar 2000, 21:09
Volunteer to get the Vulcan flying again.