PDA

View Full Version : VFR vs IFR Comm

Latent Heat
2nd Aug 2005, 07:06
Got embroiled in a debate the other day with a mate. My good buddy said that he had heard somewhere that a holder of a VFR (H) comm licence could not fly further than 150nm away from home base.

This lead to us jumping into the blue books which bore no fruit.

Another comm (H) pilot joined in this debate and told us that when he did his comm some years back in Durban, he was told that a comm licence without an IFR rating meant nothing.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter with regards to the "no further than 150nm"

Thanks in advance.

Gerund
2nd Aug 2005, 13:32
Latent Heat

It sounds very much as if what you heard is a bar-room distortion of SA CAR 127.03.6, viz

Pilot-in-command holding commercial pilot licence

The operator of a commercial air transport helicopter shall ensure that -

(a) a holder of a commercial pilot licence (helicopter) does not operate as a pilot-in-command of a helicopter certificated in the flight manual referred to in regulation 91.03.2 for single-pilot operations unless -

(i) when conducting passenger carrying operations under VFR outside a radius of 50 nautical miles from a heliport of departure, the pilot has a minimum of 300 hours total flight time on helicopter or holds a valid instrument rating; or

(ii) when operating under IFR, the pilot has a minimum of 400 hours total flight time on helicopters which includes 200 hours as pilot-in-command of which 50 hours have been under IFR: Provided that the 200 hours as pilot-in-command may be substituted by hours operating as co-pilot on the basis of two hours as co-pilot is equivalent to one hour as pilot-in-command if these hours are gained within an established multi-pilot flight crew system prescribed in the operations manual referred to in regulation 127.04.2;

Hope this helps.

Latent Heat
2nd Aug 2005, 13:36
Gerund, thanks for the info....i'll put this one to bed now.

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 07:44
I do not have muc hknowledge about comm / cpl but if I read this thread correctly I find it absolutely astonishing that you can be a commercial pilot and NOT the holder of an IF rating ?

Did I read correctly into this ?

Soap Box Cowboy
5th Aug 2005, 15:41
In Tanzania you cannot fly on scheduled flights without an IR, but I think most places especially in regards to bush flying don't require an IR.

If your going to go bush you won't be flying in places you can use it or on machine's certified for it. But it's a good idea to get it done, makes life a lot easier on you and everyone else around.

goaround7
5th Aug 2005, 22:32
Guns,

You don't even need a night rating for an SAA CPL (H).

&

You can get an SAA ATPL (H) without an IF or multi engine rating.