PDA

View Full Version : QF Engineers Too Expensive for Management?

Monkey Grease
22nd Feb 2000, 14:59
I read today in the Sydney Daily Telegraph that James Strong is quoted as saying that up to 2000 staff could be outsourced overseas.

It sounds like Engineering(Heavy Maintenance perhaps?) might have eventually become too expensive for the bean counters.

Anybody able to shed some light on the subject?

greaseytech
23rd Feb 2000, 02:08
If the 'Bean Counters' think that they can get heavy maintenance outsourced, let them try. We in the UK had some experience of outsourcing to the lowest bidder and when the aircraft came back to us it was in our hangar for longer than it was away. We were repairing the cock ups that were achieved by this so called maintenance outfit (cowboy outfit more like). So let them try. If they can get as good a job done outside, then I will be surprised.

Feather #3
23rd Feb 2000, 02:25
Most of we drivers can remember the '80's when this idiocy was tried last time.

HAECO were the only reliable contractors. The rest all required greater or lesser remedial work with consequent time out of service before being reliably able to operate on the line.

As 'greasey's' company found, you get what you pay for. Now QF is the only Australian international airline, it would be nice to think all my mates in heavy maintenance could continue to put their expertise into keeping our fleet flying reliably.

Blacksheep
23rd Feb 2000, 08:49
Hey guys, chill out! We do maintenance for other operators and do just as good a job as on our own machines. Not all operators are large enough to do their own "heavy" work, and doing other people's checks also makes our own facility cost effective. Which it wouldn't be if we only did our own.

I must add however, that we started doing our own because of our experiences with HAECO and MAS. HAECO could never fit our aircraft in at the right time, and once in their hangar they always gave priority to Cathay casualties. MAS built in more corrosion than they ever took out and they billed us more for "consumables" than the price of the basic check!

Through difficulties to the cinema