PDA

View Full Version : ASA/AirNorth Chieftain wheels-up at YPAG

Desert Flower
1st Aug 2005, 04:26
Just heard that ASA/AirNorth Chieftain VH-LMB had undercarriage problems at YPAG & put it down sans wheels. Everyone okay.

DF.

Chadzat
1st Aug 2005, 09:55
I saw the footage on the news tonight and it looked like the pilot did a bloody good job, seemed quite a soft touchdown and the aircraft slid to a halt almost exactly on centreline.

From passenger accounts it sounds like they were briefed satisfactorily too.

The video was of quite high quality and even the sound of the engines stopping dead with the scrapping of under-belly came though on the tv. Not nice!

Just out of interest what would the best case scenario repair-bill wise be for a PA-31 belly landing? (Ie both probs struck ground, engines stopped dead, no major structoral damage)

Well done to the pilot!

Woomera
1st Aug 2005, 10:56
Two bulk strips, two props, bit of panel beating - doubt you'd be able to buy a Maccas with the change out of $100K!

Yup, great job by the pilot! All the training obviously came through!

Woomera

Howard Hughes
1st Aug 2005, 11:12
Hey Flower, is there anything that happens in the desert that you don't know about?

Desert Flower
1st Aug 2005, 11:59
Hey Flower, is there anything that happens in the desert that you don't know about?
Nope, not a real lot!;)

DF.

Jungmeister
1st Aug 2005, 13:05
I loved the Channel Nine report that said the "plane circled so that Air Traffic Control could inspect the undercarriage"

And the passenger who said "The pilot told us he was having trouble with the gears" She also said that she was grateful to him for saving her life and that is fair enough.

Desert Flower
1st Aug 2005, 22:56
"plane circled so that Air Traffic Control could inspect the undercarriage"
Wow - they must have darn good binoculars then! :D

DF.

blueloo
1st Aug 2005, 23:36
Flying out of ADL to MEL ( I am not sure where he was landing at) yesterday, heard a pilot on MEL Centre frequency mention he had gear problems and had to do a wheels up with emergency services on standby. Does anyone know if this eventuated and did it all end well?

The guy sounded very calm and professional.

Ace on Base
2nd Aug 2005, 01:32
I believe all went well, Pax ok, Pilot ok, Aircraft came off second best though that was to be expected (but minimal damage except flaps, props, engines, and belly of fusilage).

At least the driver can still say "takeoffs = landings":ok:

I also understand that the emergency response from PAG emergency services was nothing short of supurb - all went like a well oiled machine!

"keep smiling sunshiners":cool:

Woomera
2nd Aug 2005, 02:48
:}

Farcome
2nd Aug 2005, 06:25
Yep the pilot did an exceptional job. Saved the lives of his passengers and himself, all very professionally well executed and just to think he gets paid about half as much as the taxi drivers that take the passengers into town.

Something needs to be done.

Woomera
2nd Aug 2005, 09:14
In all fairness, Farcome, Woomera has an interest in fair and just pilot remuneration (see other threads), which has given us an insight into which operators do - and which operators don't - meet their industrial relations and civil aviation obligations.

In respect to ASA/Air North pilot terms, conditions and remuneration, we can confirm that company totally meets it's industrial relations obligations. :ok:

I would suggest the young pilot involved in yesterday's incident at Port Augusta would probably be better remunerated than your local cabby!!

As it should be! :O

Woomera

11percent
2nd Aug 2005, 12:29
Not that I want to rain on your parade Woomera, but when your pay amount includes superannuation, rather than super on top of your salary, those award obligations are not really being meet.

On top of that, minimum conditions established under an award (that are not legally required to be included in an AWA) result in the GA or Supplimental awards being a work of fiction!

T3000
3rd Aug 2005, 01:27
wouldn't classify 30+ as being young

tinpis
3rd Aug 2005, 01:32
wouldn't classify 30+ as being young

:{

I would.

Woomera
3rd Aug 2005, 01:40
tinnie me old

Me three:{

Woomera
3rd Aug 2005, 03:49
11%. Pilot terms and conditions are contained in the airline's registered AWA.

Whether or not certain Award conditions may or may not have been removed; whether the wage is expressed as a package including or excluding superannuation, is irrelevant.

It is a registered AWA which has passed the No Disadvantage test, and is thus the appropriate industrial instrument for that company to determine it's pilot remuneration.

As I said previously:

In respect to ASA/Air North pilot terms, conditions and remuneration, we can confirm that company totally meets it's industrial relations obligations.

It may be difficult to publish the names of those operators we know do not meet their obligations, but it is a pleasure to name those that do.

Woomera

Ace on Base
3rd Aug 2005, 03:53
woomera,

hows ya zimmer frame?

BTW, the landing apparently made front page of the PAG rag - photo taken with A/C in the flair, moments before impact.

Keep smiling sunshiners!

Woomera
3rd Aug 2005, 07:56
You cheaky young whipper snipper!! At least my Zimmer frame wheels are down and locked!!! :{

http://portaugusta.yourguide.com.au/images/story/thumbnails/413244.jpg

"The moment of truth, as the stricken
Piper Chieftain is about to hit the runway
with its landing gear retracted."

Article here in The Transcontinental Port Augusta newspaper (http://portaugusta.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&story_id=413244&category=general%20news&m=8&y=2005).

Also "Passrenger Praises Pilot". (http://portaugusta.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&story_id=413250&category=General+News&m=8&y=2005)

Woomera

Pinky the pilot
3rd Aug 2005, 10:46
Obviously our esteemed Woomera agrees,
Well done that man! :ok: :ok:
Wonder what they will do with LMB? Always liked flying that one.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.