PDA

View Full Version : Working for the British Antarctic Survey

Jinkster
31st Jul 2005, 22:41
Havent a clue where this post should go - so mods feel free to move it!

Just wondered what the general requirements are for flying the Dash or the Twotter in Antarctica.

Thanks, Jinkster :)

aaaaa
1st Aug 2005, 07:02
It used to be on the British Antarctic Survey web site but when I last looked they had removed it.

Quite a good number of hours I should think not to mention the love of penguins!

aa

Wycombe
1st Aug 2005, 08:07
Had an interesting insight into the Ops of the Dash 7 a few years back.

Noticed the said beast parked up at Stanley (Falklands), so thought I'd go for a look.

They had spent a week ferrying the a/c from Canada, and were on the last leg to Rothera (Brit Antarctic base). However, they had just returned from a 6hr flight to nowhere!

Had got 3hrs S from Stanley, but had to turn back due to much stronger than forecast headwinds. Then had to carry out the NDB approach into Stanley in typical S Atlantic conditions.

Had a good look around the aeroplane. Very nice nick, lots of modern kit in the flightdeck from what I remember.

Maude Charlee
1st Aug 2005, 14:30
Advertised for a chief pilot back in June (see Flight International June 14-20), also stating they are keen to hear from line pilots too. No minimum qualifications stated, but must be physically fit and medically capable of Antarctic ops. Ethnic minoroties particularly welcome.

BAS Jobs (http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/employment)

Or contact;

Personnel Section, British Antarctic Survey, High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ET. 01223 221508

hugh flung_dung
1st Mar 2006, 15:01
Has anyone had any involvement with flying for the British Antarctic Survey.

HFD

ragamuffin
14th Mar 2006, 20:33
Hello. Wonder if i may also get a bit of info re BAS from you guys in the know.
I am very interested in this post, Have been for a while.
I sent a CV some time ago (just speculative) i received an application for post of chief pilot! I enjoy the airlines but this remote stuff more up my street.
Regards
Raga

TLS
17th Mar 2006, 13:40
Does anybody have any information on BAS. I have responded to the job advert in Flight but was hoping to get some background on the interview and on the operations. A search of the forums has not highlighted any info.
TA

Agaricus bisporus
5th May 2006, 19:19
Nothing found in Search mode, so is there anyone out there with info on flying in the deep South for the BAS, and anything else those interested in doing it might like to know?

Cheers!

AB

captwannabe
5th May 2006, 19:46
Just went on their website - www.antarctica.ac.uk (http://www.antarctica.ac.uk) - It sounds like a great unique job for everyone involved. Always wanted to go down south.

scroggs
5th May 2006, 20:53
I only found one link:

here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=184190)

mujan
5th May 2006, 23:31
I think they just grounded themselves. Check with Falkland Islands CAA.

dlav
6th May 2006, 23:23
The dash 7 is at Oxford at the moment, getting a "check up".

The Twin Otters were supposed to fly in a few weeks ago, but havent seen them around yet, are they grounded or something?

Would be an amazing job :rolleyes:

asuweb
7th May 2006, 12:53
Last I heard, the Twin Otters were grounded due to a weight issue.

Wing Commander Fowler
7th May 2006, 13:57
They'll have a weight issue when "Agi" comes on board!!! Hehe! Good luck anyway mate! :}

dogstar2
18th May 2007, 15:58
Hi,

Does anyone on this forum know anything about what the British Antarctic Survey flying jobs are like?

In particular, I am interested in how long the duty time is down on the ice. How long the pilots spend away from home. What flying and other duties take place back in the uk. Finally what is the salary like and are there any fringe benefits.

Any help would be much appreciated

Say again s l o w l y
18th May 2007, 16:00
They've just done their shortlist for this year's interviews, so unless you've already applied, I think you'd be a bit late.

dogstar2
18th May 2007, 16:03
Just very interested in alternative jobs such as this. A chance for real adventure in the aviation world.

snips
18th May 2007, 16:14
The summer season lasts Early October through to mid March. Time on Ice is about the same but with chance for a short break.
I was Lucky enough to get a few RHS trips down there. An Amazing place.
:)

dogstar2
18th May 2007, 16:28
Is the short break back in the UK or in the Falklands? Do you know if family are allowed to visit the ice?

Firestorm
20th May 2007, 21:25
It's where I learnt to fly and where my life went downhill 15 years ago! I got the bug whilst working at Rothera as aguide for the scientists, and life has never been the same since! What's it like? Beyond words: you have to see it and touch it for yourself.

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
21st May 2007, 09:05
Yep, and I've seen the amazing photos in Firestorm's album to prove it! You missing the Twotters yet old chap, or is the glamorous jet life keeping you happy? Hope you're well and I'll email you properly soon mate.

Cheers

ACA