PDA

View Full Version : Vale Bob Martin

Sharpie
31st Jul 2005, 02:42
Robert (Bob) Martin passed away suddenly, yesterday while climbing Mt. Wilhelm with his two sons. Full details later.

Bob has been a driving force in Air Niugini for a number of years as Marketing Manager/Director and will be very sadly missed by all his friends in the aviation industry throughout the region.

Haere ra!

Torres
31st Jul 2005, 05:08
I'm very bloody sorry to hear that. Bob was one of the good, genuine and very sincere guys - my counterpart in the old Talair -v- Air Niugini wars, who always enjoyed a coldie out of hours.

Haven't seen him in 20 years but my heart really goes out to his family and friends.

I would have thought at our age, climbing Mt Wilhelm is not exactly an appropriate thing to be doing.

Bob Fulton

Sharpie
1st Aug 2005, 02:13
Bob raced over the Kokoda Trail last year and was fairly fit for his age, but I think that maybe the reduced oxygen at 14,000 feet may have had some adverse effect on him.

It is sad that as we all get a bit older that more friends pass away and who will make the last toast?

Remember Thomas Moore's words.

When I remember all
the friends go linked together
I have seen around me fall
like leaves in wintry weather
I feel like one
who treads alone
some banquet hall deserted
whose lights are fled
whose garlands dead
and all but me departed.

Thanks for all the good times over 30 odd years Bob!

We few, we very few, we band of Brothers.

Peter Sharpe.

Animalclub
2nd Aug 2005, 03:42
He was far too young. When Hanoi told me of Bob's passing I immediately thought of the good times I'd had with him... especially in Germany!

He'll be missed.