PDA

View Full Version : Bacx Bhx

SEAMASTER
30th Jul 2005, 22:03
HELLO AGAIN GUYS AND GALS

JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU OUT THERE WOULD BE ABLE TO ENLIGHTEN ME ON THE TYPICAL WORKING SCHEDULE OF A BACX ERJ145 FO AT BHX. IE, WHAT IS THE ROSTA LIKE, ARE THERE MANY NIGHT STOPS AND WHAT ROUTES ARE TYPICALLY FLOWN ON THE 145 FLEET. ALSO WOULD APPRECIATE TYPICAL DUTY PAY PER YEAR YOU CAN EXPECT TO RECIEVE ALONG WITH HOURS FLOWN IN A YEAR.

AS ALWAYS MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE.

YOURS

SEAMASTER !!

BLACK RAT
31st Jul 2005, 09:02
Expect 750 + hours ,you can bid for max or min or average nightstops,min = 2 - 4,max = as many as they can dish out ie 15+. Average of 200hrs duty per month = £4000 per year (ish).
You will be worked like a dog. If you have been offered a job,ring back and ask why approx 100 pilots are currently serving notice,that is 25% of the pilot workforce.This is an airline that really has an uncertain future at the moment.It is still contracting whilst others have started to expand.We are constantly told we are losing money by big BA,despite being half the size we were 3 years ago.Conspiracy theories run amok,no information from management and more importantly,they seem to have lost the goodwill of both pilots and cabin crew,something they have relied heavily on to keep the operation running.
I'm sure others within BACX will post answers along this line.

Pin Head
31st Jul 2005, 11:23
BACX has been a great first job. My plan was to stay for a year but here 5 later. It would do well for anyone looking to start their career and shouldn't be knocked. With 4000hrs + there are better alternatives out there. If you don't want regional flying that is.

normal_nigel
31st Jul 2005, 14:04
I'd learn how to spell roster first.

Captain Correlli
31st Jul 2005, 14:33
Pinhead is right, it is a great first job, better than most smaller turboprop only outfits.

However, nearly anything else is preferable.

This is a Company as mentioned that cannot make itself work, or apparently make a profit. The Head of Ops is a chopped Air Force Cadet with a chip on both shoulders, and his immediate subordinates have rather brown noses as well as being related to him. Please judge for yourself.
Unlike all our competitors, we continue to shrink. Whenever we get competition on a route, we stop flying that route, and close the base at the same time. It has taken a long time, and a lot of effort, however Black Rat is also correct. The criminal fools running this airline have finally managed to lose the goodwill which kept it working after a fashion since the BA takeover. The trouble is, there are still a number of people like myself who cannot quite bring ourselves to jack in ten years of work and pension contributions for an Effoh's slot somewhere else and start all over again. Most annoying to see previously junior colleagues who made the leap now getting commands with the likes of Ezy, Britannia, etc etc. There are those amongst us who think that when BA have the thing slimmed down to the size they want then just possibly they will absorb us, since it is difficult to see how getting rid of BACX entirely would help the cause of big BA. Then again, BOAC was a good concept.......

Summary -

Management apart, we're a good bunch of guys who are fed up with the airline. Lots leaving, lots who would for the right job. If you have no other jet offers, then we're at least better than Emerald in pure job terms I suppose, but as a long term career - forget it. There is plenty of better paid stuff out there, Titan, Jersey, Jet2, GB, BMed. they are all going to be looking and they are run by people who know how to make an airline work. More importantly, they understand that communication and trust are quite important to develop constructive relations with their employees.

BACX - Sh!ttyExpress.:( Don't join us unles you have NO other options!!!!!

SEAMASTER
31st Jul 2005, 23:04
WELL THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES, IM SURE YOU GUYS ARE IN A BETTER POSITION TO JUDGE THAN I AM HOWEVER I UNDERSTOOD BACX'S PLANS WERE TO BECOME AN ALL JET AIRLINE AND HAVING RECENTLY PURCHASED A COPY OF THE BA ANNUAL RETURNS FROM COMPANIES HOUSE I FOUND ILLUSTRATED ON THERE ALONG WITH THE AIRCRAFT FLEET AT BA (BOTH BIG AND SMALL) IT SHOWS FOR THE ERJ NUMBERS, I FORGET EXACTLY, BUT SOMETHING LIKE 26 IN TOTAL OF WHICH APPROX 16-17 WERE OFF THE BALANCE SHEET ( I PRESUME PAID FOR ) AND OPTIONS ON 17 OTHERS.

The Little Prince
1st Aug 2005, 18:12
The 'options' are probably for Removals Companies as we wonder which base will be announced as closing on Monday, only to be changed on Wednesday. Ou management love planning - it's a shame none of their efforts work!
BA dislike the RJ and the 146, they have therefore no future unless the renewal leases are very very cheapo. They tried selling the 146s already - no takers, that's why they're still with us. The Embraers are DEFINITELY not bought, all on leases, and some handed back already.
The master plan, a la Terry Liddiard, was to move to Emb 170/90. Unfortunately, according to BA, we have no money for a new type at the moment. So, do the sums and read the auguries yourself.

However, if you like a relaxed, calm, professionally managed outlook on life, don't come anywhere near us!:E

Waka Rider
2nd Aug 2005, 20:28
G'Day Seamaster

Go for it with BACX if your options and experience do not allow many others, any of the Charter Fellas Mytravel First Choice etc. They will pay more and probably stuff you around less. I joined BACX four and and half years ago. With one base change, three aircraft type ratings I have enjoyed my time and learnt alot. The 145 is an exciting aircraft. The opportunity to fly to many destinations with good Captains and have a few night stops generally min rest. As long as you can accept change BACX is a great company to work for. You get out of it what you put in. With regard to Command time I think it is along way away. At least six years at a guess however these things can change really quickly. BACX really need to order some new aircraft. To remain in the market. Management may have some interesting ways however they are trying to do their best. With the 105 or so pilots on notice at least Seamaster you will get the experience to move on if you wish.

Good Luck