PDA

View Full Version : Broken Arrows in Iran

RatherBeFlying
30th Jul 2005, 20:11
CounterPunch Article (http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn07302005.html) Iran may have the weapons-grade uranium out of three nuclear warheads dumped out of a B-52 back in 1991...

On February 3, 1991, this particular B-52G had been deployed to circle around Baghdad. It was armed with 3 SRAM missiles armed with nuclear warheads....

Hoping to limp back to base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, the crew were heading the plane south just off the coast of Somalia when fires in five of the engines threatened to detonate the heat sensitive fuse mechanisms of the SRAMS. Thinking they would plummet into deep water the crew dumped the nuclear bombs, and the B-52 crashed not long thereafter. Some members of the crew died, others survived and were picked up...

But, our informant tells us, the warheads in fact landed in shallow water, on Somalia's continental shelf. Three months later, in mid-May of 1991, they were allegedly retrieved and passed into the hands of an arms dealer involved in other covert transactions in Somalia at the time.That the Somalia continental shelf is considerably off the great circle course from Baghdad to Diego Garcia raises some doubts, though the electrical problems may have messed up the navigation. Nor am I satisfied that nukes would have been carried over a war zone when there's considerable other ordnance that could have been put to work.

I also doubt that broken arrows would have been abandoned without a considerable search effort and find it hard to believe that your average Somali warlord would have the requisite salvage capability, even if the US Navy was content to allow such a salvage operaton to proceed unhindered.

Was there a B-52 loss at or near this date?

Onan the Clumsy
30th Jul 2005, 21:03
If it was a James Bond film or an episode of Thunderbirds, the war lord would have no difficulty getting them ashore.

Ian Corrigible
30th Jul 2005, 22:21
A Buff (and three of its crew) was lost on February 3, 2001, 3 miles North of Diego Garcia while returning from a mission, reportedly with five of its J52s flaming out after electrical system failure, but the idea of SRAMs being carried on a mission two weeks into Desert Storm sounds far fetched.

I/C

pr00ne
30th Jul 2005, 22:30
Ian Corrigible,

Sounds even more far fetched when you consider that the Boeing AGM-69 SRAM was retired from the US inventory in June 1990.............

Ian Corrigible
31st Jul 2005, 05:18
Pr00ne - thanks for the G2. Man I feel old - feels like those things only entered service a couple of years ago...! I still remember the debates over AGM-69/AGM-86 launcher compatibility like they were yesterday.

I/C

Fox3snapshot
31st Jul 2005, 14:19
Good chance the Somali fisherman could have recovered them by dragging the bottom with the shark nets they stole from us in 93!!!!!

They are very inventive, so if there was any ordanance jettisoned the Somali fisherman or Yemeni pirates would have found them in a flash!

Lets face it they were good mates with the terrorist world and some of the Dragon Lady sorties still head down that way to this day to check out the training camps....

Perhaps the bombs are still for sale down at Bakhara markets along with the Ozzy Styre that was "misplaced", or perhaps the few thousand NATO rounds that went "missing" from the Egyptian run UN ammunition dump!

Oh how I miss Taniwha hill.......:{

:E