PDA

View Full Version : SW axis and suspended flights

flowman
30th Jul 2005, 10:20
Hello all!
A genuine question to try to get to the bottom of a problem:

As many of you are aware there is a SW axis teleconference between AOs, FMPs, CFMU and other interested parties.
They come up with a plan to force certain flows of traffic through areas of lower demand. The objective is to reduce the overall delay and to maximise available capacity.

We force certain flows of traffic on to these new routes by effectively banning them from the busy routes.
We do this by using "zero rate" regulations. These regulations "suspend" the affected flights.

Now, the details of the flows affected are published in the Network Brief distributed by NMC (pretactical) and available on the Eurocontrol website. They are also sent out as an AIM in the form of the "Network News"

Additionally they are published in the ANM with a description of which flights are affected and where they should refile.

My question is this:
With all this pre-notification and involvement of those concerned, why do some AOs still wait until their flights are suspended (2 hours before EOBT) before re-routeing ? These flights are then treated as late filers or late updaters and inevitably receive disproportionately higher delays than those who have done their flight planning in good time.
I know BA arrange all their SW axis flights immediately after the SW axis teleconference on Friday. So it is possible.

Any feedback will be welcome, maybe we can change things here to help out.

Awaiting incoming.........

flowman

This Charming Man
31st Jul 2005, 22:04
A few observations

1. Some Ops departments are just not switched on enough. They treat ATC and Flightplanning as a bit nerdy,despite the fact it could make or break their day !

2. Just how many re-route secenarios were ther on Sat ? 15 ? !
The n/n and ANM make for heavy reading.

Because of No1 some just file and see where it gets them !

Not brill I know.

The Bames - Abuda one is interesting though . The UK airlines would love to file that way ex LEPA/LEAL etc as it's the shortest route to the UK , however it was lost about 6 years ago when the French came up with their fab ARNv3 :E , anyway with a rate of only 3/60 it is a bit of a gamble dont you think ?

best rgds
TCM

flowman
1st Aug 2005, 02:40
TCM
I counted 25!
Its difficult for us to get our heads around them so I sympathise.
It is heavy reading but any suggestions to make it more user friendly? Maybe a way of referencing the re-route i/d with a more detailed description on the CFMU website in plain English. It might be possible to put pictures/maps on the web, would that help or just make it more confusing?

The trouble with option 1 is the FPL will be accepted by IFPU but the flight will be suspended just when it's most inconvenient.

As for BAMES-ABUDA, is it not possible for you to check the slot list/flight list on CHMI to see if there is spare capacity before refiling?
It is also possible for us to book a slot in anticipation of a FPL arriving. That would mean a call to the heldesk first to give the c/s and a fairly accurate estimate of your time to enter the restriction (BAMES), that would take away the gambling element.