PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Belgium

arviator
30th Jul 2005, 09:32
Morning all, have got a trip to Spa in Belgium coming up. Does anyone have any top tips about operating there: VFR or IFR, heli-friendly or not?
Thanks in advance for any info.

206 jock
30th Jul 2005, 09:38
I fly across regularly(ish) to Brussels: always find the welcome freindly and professional. I cross the sea from Margate to Koksidje ( about 29 minutes in a JetRanger) - Koksy approach is 122.5, by the way. They seem happy to let you go straight through the overhead. Then scoot at 1500-2000' ish across to EBBR.

If you need fuel on your way, there's a freindly operation at St. Pieter's Liew south of Brussels - never landed there myself but they were very keen to see me until I found it was easier for me to land at the airport.

The Grand Prix, I take it?

arviator
30th Jul 2005, 09:49
Hi, thanks for that. Sadly its not for the Grand Prix, just a 2 day visit to the track for other reasons.
Do you know if you can land at other than airports, like uk? Or is it like the Dutch system and involve so much hassle that it's not worth it?
Cheers

What I mean is, can you land at private sites as well as at airports?
I have only flown to France and Holland and they are worlds apart in their attitude to helis!

EESDL
30th Jul 2005, 09:59
Flew to Spa for the LMES GT race back in April. No snags. PM/e-mail me for further details etc

ThomasTheTankEngine
30th Jul 2005, 11:07
Hi

In Belgium you can land at a private landing site with permission from the landowner if you only need to land once or twice on the same day.

If you need to make more regular landings like for plesure flying then you need to register the site for the day, Which requires a site inspection and detailed drawings and some maps of the site with takeoff & landing directions etc, If you need to make multiple landings then you also need permisson from the town hall.

For NOTAMS & FLIGHT PLANS check out www.belgocontrol.be or phone 003222062540.

In the Flemish (Dutch) speaking part of Belgium everyone will speak English but don't be suprized if they only speak French on the radio at Spa, Ive landed there quite a few times and normerly its a rush to get somone who speaks English. There is a nice hotel near by with a helipad The Ronnay http://www.roannay.com

delta3
30th Jul 2005, 14:40
Presently in the South of France, but flying back tomorrow.

Belgium is OK for Heli's

Sint Pieters Leeuw is indeed very practical (but closed on Sundays) Better to PPR via +32 2 361 21 21 (www.hsb.be)

On the way

Namur (EBNM)
Liege (EBLG)

alll are Heli friendly

Close to Spa, nice Hotels with Helisurfaces. Landing indeed allowed outside agglomerations (defined by official belgian VFR charts), if owner agrees. I always request written (fax) approval from owner (question of insurance)

D3

arviator
30th Jul 2005, 15:26
A big Thank you to all the replies. Sounds indeed like Belgium is heli-friendly. Looking forward to the trip now, rather than with some trepidation!
Sounds like I better brush up on my French!
Cheers again, to one and all.:ok:

anti-talk
31st Jul 2005, 00:36
I will be shortly flying the whole coastline of Northern Europe for a project and was wondering if there are any countries / areas that are not heli friendly.
Specifically I am looking at Scandiavia and additionally can I buy airport directories (and where from) similar to FBO Guides/ AFD's in the US or fuel locations.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated - its going to be an awesome trip and I really dont want to upset anyone on the way.

Thanks