PDA

View Full Version : Advice and contacts

Gooneybird
30th Jul 2005, 06:24
So, I did my SAA CPL/ME IR failed to get a job and have since let the license lapse while earning money elsewhere.

I've decided to try Tanzania. Could I train for a Tanzanian license?
If so, where?

Any help really appreciated.

Jockflyer
30th Jul 2005, 07:24
Sorry to tell you but you are probably 6 months too late aksing. Or if you want to be positive, then you are preparing 6 months early.

Tourist season started May/June, so most hiring is done in the early part of the year. Best to be knocking on doors Jan/Feb.

In most of the southern african countries, you will get a validation. However, you will need to get your SAA licence current again.

Try to get some time in a C206 or 210, that will help you, as thats what you will inevitably start out on.

If you do it now, you MIGHT be lucky a get a start somewhere, but I would think it more likely you'll have to wait until after the new year.

That said, I've never been in Tanz, only Bots/Zambia/Malawi.

Good luck.

JF

Gooneybird
30th Jul 2005, 09:02
Thanks Jockflier. I'm planning ahead so it's all good.
Using the search function I came across the name of a school in TZ called Super Skies Aviation but I can't find any info about them.

Soap Box Cowboy
30th Jul 2005, 12:16
Hi there,
As of this moment there is no aviation school qualified to train you for the Tanzanian CPL only th PPL unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks. The best thing for you to do is get your SAA liscence back up and then come down and do the conversion exam. The season is in full swing right now and there are still positions available, but unless you have something in the line of 400-500 hours you will be stuck trying to get into the dodgier companies. And remember ALL Caravans are being flown single crew in Tanzania so forget about them.

Otherwise PM me with your details and I'll let you know what's happening over there.

406pilot
30th Jul 2005, 19:50
hi there gooney karibu sana to the dumping ground for low time,non rated pilots,

i know for sure that coastal travels might be on the look out for a caravan driver,since one their smartest pilots managed to injure himself somehow??? he joins the elite group of pilots that have been injured whilst pushing a plane...he he he

looks like the horse got the better of this cowboy finally???

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Soap Box Cowboy
30th Jul 2005, 22:33
Yes yes, some of the hazards of the job they didn't tell you about. Pity it couldn't have happened a week later when I at least would have been released on the van.

But at least I'm on a six week vacation in civilization :D

Albeit slightly immobilized, I'll tell all the hosties you said hi :E