View Full Version : Becoming a GA engineer/technician

PA38-HOTEL-MIKE
12th Oct 1999, 01:33
I really don't know if this is the right place to post my question ?looking at all the other posts i guess the majority of you work for airlines ?
I am enquiring about becoming a mechanic on light aircraft singles/twins etc , i am already a motor vehicle mechanic and since starting my training for the PPL i have been increasingly fascinated by the work going on in the hangers . So basically i was wondring do you have to serve an apprenticeship or is it a case of studying for any licences required . I am 24 and really don't fancy spending another four years on a training wage :-) . Any advice would be gratefully received.

Airbornespanner
12th Oct 1999, 02:08
pa38-hotel-mike,

you are in the right forum I have only just started with the airlines after 30+ years in GA, I spent 2 years in UK quite some time ago and found it easy at the time to get work. If it is the same in Australia you do not have to do an apprenticeship but there is an adult training scheme. I have only been out of work for 1 week in my entire working life in aviation so it has been good for me. I guess that if you are willing to work hard and show enthusiasum them you should go far.Best of luck, and if I can be of any more assistance feel free to ask.

LME (GOD)
12th Oct 1999, 04:26
write off ot the airlines, some places will give you accelerated traing as you already have a relevant trade, start inflicting yourself on the nearest hangar for the experience, most important...every job you do no matter how irrelevant it may seem, make a note of the task, aircraft type and reg. and get the licenced guy to sign it....worksheets will be the making of your licence application...good luck

------------------
It flew in, it'll fly out

Satis
12th Oct 1999, 14:05
In times of Engineer shortages like these you will find there are a few companies giving conversion courses for experienced qualified non aviation craftsmen (like motor mechanics). I have come across these courses and they take from 1 to 3 months depending on the organisation. In theory the training from an aviation apprenticeship is more thorough and will prepare an individual better for a career as an Aircraft Engineer. But I have seen a lot of excellent guys come from industry which have turned out to be excellent Aircraft Engineers. I think the enthusiasm of the individual goes a long way towards making up for a lot of the shoddy training programs around (and I mean both ab-initio and conversion training!!). So my advice is if you're really interested write to every airline you can, and the third part maintenance companies too. Put up with a short training bond and bad conditions for a while until you get the experience under your belt. Alternatively, finish your commercial license and get a job as a pilot for more money on regulated hours and save a fortune on manicures!!

Genghis the Engineer
13th Oct 1999, 01:33
There are a lot of companies who will employ semi-skilled, unqualified technicians in a supervised role. Unsurprisingly such places usually seem to be near to colleges who offer A&P / LWOTR courses in evening classes. Hunt around, there are a lot of jobs out there - but they're not necessarily advertised.

phyxit
13th Oct 1999, 20:41
I read that in the US the airlines and manufacturers have started a program to help "other trades" mechanics become airplane fixers. (Here in Canada the government has the usual stunned response. We can expect action about the time hell freezes over.)

Since you're already a motor vehicle mechanic you already have the tools and skills you need, but you'll have to prove it somwhere. GA aircraft are far less complicated than autos, the hardware is of much better quality, rust doesn't fall in your eyes and the clientele are more likely to believe what you say. Your back won't hurt as much, either.
But: Pay scales are low, hours can be long.
I tried working for an airline-like outfit for about 6 months. I hated it. I was mechanic (lowly peon) #118. If I needed lockwire, a bolt, more rags, anything, I had to stand in line to requisition it.
Better to work for small outfit but NOT fixing private owners aircraft. Corporate aviation might be good. I'm very happy working for a geophysical survey company engineer/pilot. Small teams, good pay, travel. Boss genuinely concerned about safety.
Good luck.