PDA

View Full Version : African boarding etiquette - comments welcome

4HolerPoler
29th Jul 2005, 19:29
This pic just in from my traditional source of great African aviation nuances (thanks Stu) - comments, as always on a postcard please & the best effort wins a PPRuNe unlimited access pass, valid for six months.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/4HolerPoler/MajorDelay1.jpg

Only in Africa bubba.

4HP

Farmer 1
29th Jul 2005, 20:37
I presume this is yer actual SLF. (Don't see any windows.)

ANVAK
30th Jul 2005, 08:27
"Eish, no roof rack - where to put the goat and the chicken!"

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jul 2005, 11:21
Can't say I blame them. I'd also be biting, scratching, kicking and gouging to get a seat on the first aircraft out of Kisangani.:rolleyes:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
30th Jul 2005, 11:24
Same scenario as any domestic flight from any Nigerian airport too !! Don't you just love it !!

NEO:ok:

Qbkair
30th Jul 2005, 11:50
NEO,
only too right.
However you forgot DNMM, any weekday
1730local, up to 5 727's, 3 737's with the same mad dash.. would be nice to see that posted, especially a friday:E

phydeaux
30th Jul 2005, 12:30
Eish (Ja met ys) the fest one ohn gets to drive the fly machien

south coast
30th Jul 2005, 13:37
ah, wimbi airways....say agen p.o.b eendurance....

roge...ah, infact, ah....can be infact ah, kisangani tower, say agen?!

V1 Rotate
30th Jul 2005, 22:23
This looks like a picture of the French doing some certification tests on the A380 down at Toulouse.
The people look like residents of Marseilles

Gunship
31st Jul 2005, 09:33
Captain to engineer : Jones, couldn't there be a better way testing the replaced oleo leg ? ... :E

Farmer 1
31st Jul 2005, 10:42
"It's always the same when you land at these places where there aren't any toilets."

1st Aug 2005, 04:13
A mad rush to get to one of only a few window seats.

NZLeardriver
1st Aug 2005, 04:22
Reminds me of a bus I was on in Malaysia.

Bmused55
1st Aug 2005, 18:09
"With the aid of a thirdparty airline, MOL trials new boarding techniques for Ryanair designed to reduce turnaround times to just 10 minutes"

Gouabafla
1st Aug 2005, 21:40
Don't knock it. It was only years of fighting with Fulani market women to get on flights out of Bamako that trained me to the level of being able to get a good seat on an Easyjet flight in the UK.

Parrot
1st Aug 2005, 21:59
There was this story about the usual rush to secure a seat on an African Boeing 727 ..... only thing, they only used the rear stairs and the plane was said to tip on its tail... never really thought this was possible .. but then again.. its Africa !

TCAS FAN
1st Aug 2005, 22:18
Ah how I miss mother Africa. Reminds me of shortly after I set forth on her hallowed soil. The local airline operated two pristine DC 3s, lovingly polished after each day's work. So much so that you could have thought that that below the windows was chromium plated. After accepting an offer of a day out to see the country, but "you might have to stand on the way home", off I went.

I ended up having to stand, hanging on just aft of the pilots, with 42 pax strapped in behind me, sometimes three to a pair of seats.

A really memorable day out, with the two DC 3s soldering on after nationalisation until someone tried to take-off with one with the rudder lock in place, not the captain's fault, it was the steward's responsibility to remove the lock!

I must have missed something about "full and free"!

surely not
2nd Aug 2005, 08:01
I cannot let Nigerian Expat Outlaw's comment go without correcting him.

If you travel with Virgin Nigeria Airways out of Lagos or Abuja their domestic flights operate from the calm of the INTERNATIONAL terminals. So it is possible to avoid the rugby scrum of the Domestic Terminals in ABV and LOS if you fly with the right airline :D :ok: :ok:

Rani
2nd Aug 2005, 08:55
I hope we can give everyone a chance to come to terms with Virgin Nigeria as reality and no longer a paper project !

BTW the grapevine says the new domestic terminal 1 (with its 8 aviobridges) at Lagos will be ready come Feb 2006. Given it's essentially a concrete skeleton at this moment in time, I find this amusingly optimistic!

So for now, LOS will still be the proud showcase of "typical African boarding scenarios". :} :} :}

ZAZOO
2nd Aug 2005, 13:20
Whoa:D :D :D what a great shot 4HolerPoler. cool

But you know what guys, the great thing about this kind of rush back here, ''though its now out of the question to beat the line here'' ;) is how surprisingly well behaved everybody is when they all get onboard, and throughout the duration of the flight.

It still baffles me compared to our western friends, and the terribly increasing number of air rage now encountered over there, even heard a county police station in the United States actually have built a special cell block for the geezers who have to be offloaded during flights over the pond, saw a program ere the officer called it the british block, presumably taking into consideration the number of brits offloaded for the night, and also how the airport have made this now weekly events a money spinning venture by providing facilities for the aircrafts.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lite
2nd Aug 2005, 19:32
Passenger Service Agent: "Ladies & Gentlemen once again we are only boarding passengers with boarding card numbers one through ninety. All other passengers remain seated ... ahh screw it ... I want to get back home"

bushpilot
3rd Aug 2005, 05:20
Man if that's in Africa, that's got to be some place in West Africa. I don' believe they do stuff like that in east and south Africa. What pilot would agree to do this sh*t? :\

Exhaust Manifold
3rd Aug 2005, 06:33
"eh baas cen we wash the window?!?"

praenoscere
3rd Aug 2005, 07:02
'scuse me maam - what is the inflight movie today?

ou Trek dronkie
3rd Aug 2005, 10:45
Only in Africa --- I hope...

bear11
3rd Aug 2005, 11:42
Alright, who farted?

bravothree
3rd Aug 2005, 12:46
Very familiar indeed!!:ok:

Did some freighter ops into Mogadishu during the war and there were times you'd land there and not find any mechanised offloading equipment!:eek:

The only option was to use brute force readily available at a fee. The loadmaster used to dish out the money after the job was done but there was a day he underpaid on the agreed sum so they kidnapped & harrased him at gunpoint.:ouch:

From then on, he would only dish out the cash from the comfort of the cockpit... not knowing that he was endangering our lives because the guys would shove their way in while toting small arms & grenades under their shirts!!:oh:

What the photograph shows is definitely a "PAYDAY" after an offloading, while the guys under the main gear are waiting to "push" the kite. (notice no Pushback truck?):\

ZAZOO
3rd Aug 2005, 20:08
Oooooh man :) :) what a sight watching the Documentary on Air Rage in Europe oh man this S:mad: t is amazing . What a sight and they even boast to the police about being english.

Language edited

Sad bunch I say.

Gunship
5th Aug 2005, 08:14
Flight attendant to unruly onlookers at steps :

"Due to a blunder in the travel arrangements by the attorney of Mr Michael Jackson - he will only be on the next flight .... now please remove yourselves and the VIP bus we want to texi " :E

El lute
5th Aug 2005, 14:05
Surely this was taken in one of the French speaking countries in Africa, because it just looks exactly like any queue anywhere in France.

ou Trek dronkie
5th Aug 2005, 15:24
Well, yes, maybe, but the organised feel to it reminds me of a certain boot-shaped country too.

oTd

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Aug 2005, 16:58
Kisangani, DRC.

IINM......

Cessnafan
7th Aug 2005, 17:30
Abeche-Chad?My co pilot once made the mistake of standing in the door way to stop them, the xxxxxxx just klapped him aside and boarded.