PDA

View Full Version : QFE,QNH,QDM,QGH,QSY...any more?

charliegolf
29th Jul 2005, 16:21
I've used (and know what they mean-ish!) these in my time, and know them as bits of the 'Q-Code'.

Anyone know the derivation, and any/all of the others, or where I can find them in print?

Thanks

CG

What Limits
29th Jul 2005, 16:39
Here is a good example of the code decode (you need to be a bit of a spotter)

Q-Codes (http://homepages.tesco.net/~a.wadsworth/Qcode.htm)

charliegolf
29th Jul 2005, 16:44
Cheers What-L

CG

Impiger
29th Jul 2005, 17:44
QRM - Are you being interfered with? The mind boggles!:eek:

grobace
29th Jul 2005, 18:07
Ever since someone told me that the Q code was outdated I assumed that it must have started with QFI.

albert the first
29th Jul 2005, 23:31
I love codes

how about

ZBM2

Think on

Phoney Tony
30th Jul 2005, 04:48
I once sent 'QUQ' by mistake to MHQ.

'Shall I train my searchlight nearly vertical on a cloud, occulting if
possible and, if your aircraft is seen or heard, deflect the beam up
wind and on the water or land to facilitate your landing'

The reply was a stunned silence!

Pierre Argh
31st Jul 2005, 09:23
One for the list and an associated dit to go with it...

A pilot inbound to an airfield in the early 80's asked controller if was possible to have a QTR... Controller remembers seeing an obscure book in Ops that lists Q Codes... so calls and asks for enlightenment. Answer received, he transmits "(c/s) standby for QTR... in 30secs it will be 11:32, five, four, three, two, one, mark". Pilot replies "thank you... we were hoping for a Quick TurnaRound on landing"

As is apparent Q Codes were used for breivity when RT was transmitted mostly in Morse... and just a handful remain in current use

adr
31st Jul 2005, 10:28
:O Thanks, Phoney Tony. Fortunately I'd put my cup down before reading that, or I'd be seeking a new keyboard.

adr

adr
31st Jul 2005, 12:30
Interco can be fun, too. The most popular girl at a party might well be the one with a T-shirt displaying these flags:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/flags/signal/b-icon.gif http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/flags/signal/b-icon.gif http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/flags/signal/1-icon.gif

adr

teeteringhead
1st Aug 2005, 08:19
In the early days of our relationship, Lady Teeters used to sport a badge of the signal flag "I have a pilot on board" :E

But adr , for the navy wouldn't BB3 be more popular than BB1???;)

adr
1st Aug 2005, 17:30
for the navy wouldn't BB3 be more popular than BB1?
:E

I did think of making that crack(!) myself, but knew someone'd spot it. :ok:

adr

Monty77
2nd Aug 2005, 10:23
A course at Linton a few years ago had a supplementary course badge. The small flag meant, "I need a tug", information they keenly shared with the girlies in York.

ou Trek dronkie
2nd Aug 2005, 10:48
There was also a "Z" code I seem to remember when the code for zero was ZUG ZUG ? Can anyone confirm please ?

I have the official Z coded book in a box in storage somewhere, but it looks to me as if What Limts ref is the same. very interesting

It was so useful from time to time and was actually in use in the dreaded V force too.

oTd

Wizzard
2nd Aug 2005, 19:41
I suppose the Q for the NAAFI doesn't count?:O

Sunfish
4th Aug 2005, 04:37
You need a tie with signal flags on it. Anytime a girl bites and asks what it says, the answer is always the same :'Permission to lie alongside"

Pierre Argh
4th Aug 2005, 09:36
Wizzard...

simple that's Q4T

Simtech
4th Aug 2005, 15:49
QFO = Go Away

QLF = Try sending with your other foot

Not the official meanings I know, but sometimes used in this context by ships Radio Officers.

Roadster280
5th Aug 2005, 00:48
Hi all,

Ex Royal Signals radio telegraphist here. As I remember, ACP 127 defines the Q and Z codes. Go ask at the commcen. Might be called something else now, I've been out a while.

Basically Q codes used for radio procedure, Z codes used for message procedure as I remember.

I used to be in the RAF MAOT teams. We had an RAF Aircrew officer or Master Aircrew as team leader, and two Royal Signals blokes, one of whom would be a JNCO. We pongos provided the comms and transport, while the crab officer or WO provided the experience. Had the time of my life. "Sorry RSM, we wont be camming up, flight safety....if theres a problem, I'm sure Flt Lt Old and Bold will explain....". RAF voice procedure a bit dicky though, army was a bit rigid, but the fly-boys were a tad cavalier....

Still remember having to advise QNH or QFE to pilots inbound to our HLSs. Cant remember which, one is AMSL, other AGL. Made a bit of a difference on SPTA!

So, to the OP, go and ask at the commcen for ACP 127. All kinds of $hite in there!

R AR

tarbaby
5th Aug 2005, 15:47
Motleys Rule Forever!! Best Ground tour you could get - but only if you had offended someone with more rank than you.

Roadster280
5th Aug 2005, 20:38
MAOT = Master Aircrew And Old Tired Soldiers.

But it was fun. (Sorry to hijack thread!)

Crabs didnt care too much for ACP 127 anyway!!!!!