PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed wannabes

Turkish777
29th Jul 2005, 01:37
Does anyone out there know approximately how many Frozen ATPL pilots are currently unemployed in the UK????

(Non type rated with low hours)

At a wild guess I would say around a 1000 maybe????

:confused:

The96er
29th Jul 2005, 02:23
According to this weeks Flightinternational magazine, it states that 500 ATPL's are issued every year, so I guess that the figure of 1000 is a little low. You just worry about your hour building Turkish and keeping that aircraft in one piece before thinking about joining the queue of no-hopers.;)

The96er

Turkish777
29th Jul 2005, 02:55
Haha hi ya 96er....yeah 500 ATPL's a year but surely some of them get employed...I hope...

And its too hot to hour build....its was 35 C here last night at 8pm....I take it you're jet lag...

GuinnessQueen
29th Jul 2005, 07:43
Turkish,

I think if those are ATPLs that are being issued, then presumably the applicants are in some kind of flying related employment.

The issue of IRs and CPLs would perhaps be a better indication of how many of us are sitting here with Frozen ATPLs looking for work!

GQ

AlexL
29th Jul 2005, 16:10
Dunno,
But you're looking at the wrong stats. An ATPL is issued AFTER 1500 hours so these people will be employed. What you need to know is how many ME CPL / IRs are issued - which according to the CAA's stats is only about 100 per year.
Don't get dissolusioned by the stats - the ratios for law degrees to getting a job as a lawyer, or engineering degrees to getting a decent engineers job etc. etc. are all pretty bad, but that doesn't stop people going to uni.