PDA

View Full Version : Alternate fuels

Hone-Nz
29th Jan 2000, 08:48
Hi all,

I've heard of helicopter bush pilots running low on JetA1 & topping up on desiel fuel. How does this effect the turbine? Is there a reduction in HP? Would you tell your boss? No but seriously would ya fly the thing again or flag it?

cheers
Hone

greaseytech
29th Jan 2000, 15:34
In the ops manual you will find a list of alternative fuels. If the fuel you mention is listed, then it is OK to use. If not, then there may be serious results, not least engine failure. In my time on Harriers I took a look to what alternative fuels one could use, and was amazed to find you could use just about anything that burns and is liquid! Turbine engines are quite robust items, but there may be problems with rubber seals reacting with non-approved fuels, or too high sulpher content.

TwoDeadDogs
30th Jan 2000, 03:20
Hi there
As far as I know,the good oul'PeeTee Six allows 50 hrs operation on such stuff as diesel,home-heating oil etc as long as a careful eye is kept on JPTs.Wouldn't want to make a habit of it,though!
cheers
TDD

------------------
Drink,gurls,****,arse...

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jan 2000, 21:37
The biggest problem is the low purity of road diesel (or worse still marine diesel which I'm told the odd SHAR has been run on in a pinch), the high phosphate levels particularly tend to rapidly destroy turbine blades.

G