PDA

View Full Version : Is it right?????

Gyro drifter
28th Jul 2005, 15:04
Gday fellas,

Have a question about commercial operaions. It is in no way aimed to become a debate. Just an answer is fine.

I do not like how commercial pilots are willing and do work for free. I have been appraoched by a few friends who need an aircraft and a pilot to do some jobs. The person owns a company and has appraoched me as a commercial pilot to see what i can do. The person is very willing to go to a company and charter a plane with their own pilot. But he is trying to do right thing by me (me being a 250hr CPL just about finished his studies) and has asked if i wanted to do the flying.

I have approached two companies so far and got 2 complete different answers. The first mob were sooo helpful and soo keen to get the work. They basically said i need to do a couple hrs for an endorsement on the aircraft, get a check by the CP and do the usuall 20.11 crap. Then id be on their books as a contractor and be working under their AOC. My friend who is paying for the aircraft rate is also paying for ME (notice im not doing it for free...). I cant explain how much these guys went out of their way to help. They went thru every little detail and made sure we were doing this op by the books.

Now the second company I approached said there would be no way theyd allow me to fly their aircraft. Not even with 30hrs on type. The rate they qouted was more than double what the first mob were charging per hr. And that was with one of their line pilots.

Do you think going ahead with the first case is OK. Like would people look down on me and be pissed coz im taking work away from their line pilots????

Anywayz id like to hear what people think about this scenario. BUT i dont want to start up another of those debates.

Thanks guys n gals.

Gyro

Ski Guru
29th Jul 2005, 01:23
I can understand why your keen to do the work.

But I also don't see why people shouldn't pay top dollar to charter good aircraft, with a qualifed and experienced pilot. Some companies, and their staff put a lot of effort into their end product, and as such it doesn't come cheap. Going with the cheapest bidder doesn't always mean your comparing apples with apples.

Powder to the People.

Gyro drifter
29th Jul 2005, 07:31
Thanks Guru for your reply,

I think you got the wrong idea tho. Im not disputing a company and their charter rates. Maybe they do a better job. I dont know...

What im asking is.

Is it OK to go to a company and say "Look i got access to some work (in this case nearly roughyl 70hrs) which i would like to do in your aircraft (its a twin, which is even better), it is required to be a commercial operation, but the requirement is that i fly the aircraft. Am i able to work under your AOC?"

Cheers

Gyro

CaptainToBe
1st Aug 2005, 07:14
Gyro, maybe people would disagree with me but I respect the fact that you're not at home crying to mummy about the fact that you can't get a job. I think the first company sounds like the go. Provided they are happy with your flying ability and you are happy that they are doing things by the book then its a win win situation. Bear in mind though, if it was me you were approaching in the same situation, I would work with you, however; with only 250 hours TT, I would stick a second pilot in the aircraft especially considering you're talking about a twin and im guessing you dont have much twin time...just a guess.

If this company is happy to work with you, dont burn your bridges, do a good job and that may very well be your step in the door. The other pilots have probably worked their asses off to get where they are, so dont step on their toes, and realise that as far as the pecking order goes, youre at the bottom.

Best of luck to you!