PDA

View Full Version : More power please!

5711N0205W
28th Jul 2005, 11:38
Having upgraded my Video card to a stonkingly powerful Asus V9999 I now may have a power deficit (still checking to see if instability is power or drivers related).

The base unit is a Dell Precision Workstation 450 running twin CPU's and a SCSI Hard Drive.

The Dell (proprietary size and shape) PSU pushes out 360W and as far as I can tell cannot be upgraded. The 450W one from the Workstation 650 seems to be a different size.

I have a second case not doing anything just now with a 400W PSU and was thinking of hotwiring this PSU direct to the Molux connectors on the video card (it's not as simple as moving the mobo etc to the new case).

I will wire it to ensure cooling paths are not disrupted and will grommet any case hole I make (but will probably not need to make a hole).

Of course I will need to switch on the slave PSU before the main one (will the switching work on the accessory connectors without a mobo being attached?)

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

SilentlyScreaming
28th Jul 2005, 13:58
DANGER .... ELECTROCUTION BECKONS....

OK, warning over

will the switching work on the accessory connectors without a mobo being attached?)

Try checking 2/3 rds down here (http://www.lan-fire.net/psu.htm) or google something like "paper clip psu mod" .
Basically you'll be fooling the PSU into thinking a motherboard is conencted, and that its safe to turn on.

5711N0205W
28th Jul 2005, 14:22
Excellent, thanks.