PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue / Jetstar Pay vs Ryanair Pay

Chilli Muscle
28th Jul 2005, 10:18
Just noticed in the advertisement on this site that Ryanair ( The no frills low cost airline in Europe ) is paying Captains 100,000 pound sterling or in Australian dollars around $250,000.
First Officers 70,000 sterling or around $175,000 Australian dollars.
For the blokes doing the JAA subjects on the many internet courses available ( Oxford/bristol etc) I guess that would be a reasonable direction to be heading given the hopeless situation with pay in the Australian No Frills Carriers.

Can we get exact figures for the Virgin Blue Salaries and Jetstar just for the comparison. Also Qantas domestic 737 for the record. :)

Capn Bloggs
28th Jul 2005, 10:29
Post deleted due to possible offensiveness. Sorry 7g.

redsnail
28th Jul 2005, 10:58
Chilli,

I'd have a bit of a read about Ryanair on this site before holding them up as the holy grail of employers.
The type rating will cost you about €30,000 and you won't be paid for months.
They are offering that money (and I wouldn't mind betting it has a lot of caveats on it) to experienced 737 captains.

They are currently in dispute with some Dublin captains and the thoughts are that they (Ryanair) and trying to break these guys.

Also, since the aircraft are EI reg, folks doing the conversion would have to do the full 14 exams unless the IAA has the same scheme as the UK CAA.

The angry young muslims are targetting London, not Dublin.

7gcbc
28th Jul 2005, 11:10
Chilli,

have a look at :

http://www.ppjn.com/factfile.php?id=68a2bqqfu39egxp5kcbcr5mgqure99x55xv786aqzas6 x5z4514

or just www.ppjn.com and snoop around there.

You gotta watch for the pay (award) structure, the basic may seem low, but the sector pay and any benefits go to make up the package, additionally if the old supply and demand equation comes into it, then yes you probably can expect 100K+ as a capt, and 75 as a FO, but as I'm sure you are aware, it comes down to the individual negotiation that you are able to peg at start, to be honest my feelings regarding the 100k is that it is a draw card to get people in, however no everyone will achieve that pay, close , but probably not the magic you'd expect.

also, read the contract with BOTH eyes open, i think you know what I mean.

Still better pay than here, less tax, easier to get in, more challenging weather, varied culture, and so on and so forth.

Redsnails advice is also spot on, have a good look around here to checkout ryan-dare and sleazyjet before you go all "companyman" on the issue. Agreed on the IAA thing, they make the canberra crowd look tame in comparison to bureacracy.

As to Bloggs comment, well I am not impressed to be fair, Howard has elevated Australias' visability to position of vlunerability far exceeding her contribution, and to be candid about the whole thing, its really only a matter of time before some incident happens here, I rather not discuss it at all in this thread.

cheers

7g

J430
29th Jul 2005, 01:04
Interesting point but check out the cost of living there. Often is comaprable to the exchange rate so all that extra AUD you calculate is burnt up in the cost of housing, food, petrol, etc etc

Biased Aussie I here you say..Yep!

J

7gcbc
29th Jul 2005, 01:40
jeepers Bloggs, no offence, my comment directed at little jonnie not you :D

FX rate in UK is now 2.31 as of this morning, so 100k = 231k Aud.

Relocation is not cheap so factor in a cost of 10-15K (more if you have little screamers) Aud to do it, additionally the rating will be another chunk o' change you'll have to part with.

Cost of living is more expensive, however RyanDare fly out of satellite towns, so the UK may not be the base you end up in.

Outside of London is cheaper.

Its worth checking out the ATO here in Oz to be crystal clear on the tax implications and your liability , unless you have an EU passport , in which case it disappears after 183 days.

Another thing to watch for is Visas, as Ryandare are domociled in Eire, you'll probably get a Irish ROA (right of abode) working Visa, all well and good if you stay with Ryandare, however should you wish to move to say a European based low coster in a year or two, you'll have to reapply for the Visa of their Domocile, worst case scenario is Switzerland , which is not part of the EU and a totally different and magical willy wonka magic surrounds the whole application process which was developed in sceret by gnomes in 604 ad and has not changed much since then :D

jetblues
29th Jul 2005, 14:07
So who has "the numbers" to list a direct salary comparison between all the domestic Jet Airline operators ?

RYAN TCAD
2nd Aug 2005, 16:46
Well, this looks like the amount for Virgin Capt's.

Current Captain Gross salary $113,300

I July 2002 4% $117,832

1 July 2003 4% $122,545

1 July 2004 6% $129,898

and includes all public holidays and loading as part of the salary conditions etc.

Fist year Qantas Capt. 737 is a salary of approx $114,160

FO's are on about 50-65K or so.

All Aus Dollars.

You can see it all at www.wagenet.gov.au

Bo!

jetblues
2nd Aug 2005, 22:04
My homework suggests the following ;

Qantas 737 Captain $ 151532.95
Virgin Blue 737 Captain $ 147898.00
Jetstar A320 Captain $ 132660.00

This represents basic or guaranteed salary. When you consider overtime etc the Qantas and Jetstar figures have the potential to grow (if given the overtime).