PDA

View Full Version : Ten Year Club

Rusty Nail
25th Jan 2000, 00:18
To all those with an opinion

Should there be in our industry, different scales of pay for people with the same responsibility (i.e signing out aircraft or signing off checks), or is this just a way for the 10+ year club to keep all the new boys down a rung on the ladder, because they don't like to see people progressing faster than they did.

It may be that I have got a false impression from the glove puppet.

S.E.P Rusty Nail

Denzil
25th Jan 2000, 00:48
I think you should show some respect for your elders young man. Some of these outstanding gentlemen have been with the company since it matched it's name.

It's not fair that you should come in as a new boy t****r and ride roughshod over the system that has existed to ensure the future security of said "10 year club" members.

On a serious note try and buck up your idea's, we don't want to see anymore low exam marks.

Denzil
26th Jan 2000, 02:01
Rusty,
I think I can hear the "puppet on a string" being reprogrammed as I speak with some new improved "10 year club" brain washing. Maybe it would be a good idea to have 10 different grades (one for every year service)this would sort the men from the new boys.

S.E.P Denzil

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jan 2000, 17:56
This takes me back to an interview with my then boss some years ago when I asked about my possibilites for promotion.

Answer "You are far too young to be considered for promotion for a few years yet".

Note no mention of competence in this statement - it's endemic. I solved the problem by leaving to work for somebody who didn't care how young I was.

TAZ
27th Jan 2000, 20:27
Some poeple are so bitter and twisted, especially those that used to be Dog-Handlers in the RAF or Insurance Salesman, Or even Storemen, that are know certifing engineers when will it stop. Next we will have prefessionally trained blokes doing the job!

Denzil
27th Jan 2000, 22:51
Taz
With your comments in mind I am sure that a person as well balanced as yourself (chip on both shoulders) will soon be running the company, which company I do not know, maybe one based in Hong Kong.

"Noted With Thanks"
Denzil

Rusty Nail
28th Jan 2000, 01:40
Just to let Denzil know that information I accrued today is making us out to be selfish b******s because of certain vacancies within a said company. This has come from somebody
who regards us as part of the old school.

S.E.P Rusty Nail

Denzil
28th Jan 2000, 02:40
Rusty
As the saying goes
"You gotta be in it to win it"
I guess he's not in it.

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

Blacksheep
29th Jan 2000, 05:31
TEN YEARS!!!!

Good grief, I'd have thought they'd let you finish your apprenticeship before letting you lose on an aeroplane! :) :) :)

Seriously though, promotion means being in charge of other people. The question asked before promoting someone is, does this person have the personality to keep subordinates on-track and provide the necessary guidance? If the answer is no, then no matter how much experience they have, they are not ready for promotion. Conversely, if they have the right personal qualities and the necessary qualifications, then even with less than 10 years on the job they are fit for promotion.

Look at it this way, (and be realistic!) would you accept supervision from yourself if you were in the other people's shoes?

------------------
Info noted. Plse report further.

TAZ
29th Jan 2000, 23:36
So if an engineer has had eight years experince, held one type approval for two years and a second for a couple of months, and he is on his third type course, yet is on the same money as a technician without approvals is that right. As that said person is not a cerifing engineer he does not get paid any approval pay. Yet is still expected and engcouged to used his approval or he will not get any further training within said company.
How long should that person remain with the said company awaiting promotion to a cerifing engineer

Bitter and Twisted

[This message has been edited by TAZ (edited 29 January 2000).]

Denzil
30th Jan 2000, 00:32
This reads a bit like an "I've got this friend who" story.
If you make as many spelling mistakes in your tech log entries I am surprised that they are still paying you at all.
Seriously this is a scandalous way to treat an engineer in a position as you describe, really if they will not pay you for the approval why should you use it.

Only one thing for you to do and that is to vote with your feet.

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

greaseytech
30th Jan 2000, 02:52
TAZ

I am not sure who you work for, but I can guess. If I were you I would leave. There is a shortage of engineers out there and jobs are plentiful. Treat yourself to some interview thchniques and good luck with the job hunt.

Raffles
3rd Feb 2000, 01:13
You would all be better off getting some time in the mob. No time for all this Nancy whinging and bleating when under fire one knows. At least the good old RAF has a well sorted rank structure and you know where you stand, not only that but the regular p/t gets rid of all those fat/lardy types.

Anyway back to the Mess to meet my chums for Happy Hour.
------------------
"Tally Ho"

[This message has been edited by Raffles (edited 02 February 2000).]

Rusty Nail
3rd Feb 2000, 02:33
I thought about joining said mob as a dog handler, but was turned down due to my accent.I have now resigned myself to the fact that as long as I've got a hole in my **** , I'll be staying where I am.

Blacksheep
3rd Feb 2000, 09:08
Taz, I used to work for a Bloody Awful airline along the Bath road. I had a B707 Type Rated Licence but was still a Tradesman. Our Supervisor was away on leave and the company thought it would save a few pence by not making anyone up as Acting in his abscence. As luck would have it, they needed a Certificate of Maintenance signed on a B707 and I was the only licence holder on duty. I dug in my heels and refused to sign unless they paid me the Acting allowance for the full period of our supervisor's leave. They coughed up and I signed, no come backs.

The moral is, No Money - No Honey!! If you want to avoid being walked over, stand up for your rights and call their bluff lad. That's what Balls are for :)

P.S. I was promoted too, just a coupla months later.

------------------
Info noted. Plse report further.

Denzil
6th May 2000, 18:26
Same old story, all the good jobs go to the old sweats (ten year club).
I guess the only way is out (for Taz anyway).

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

The hippy
7th May 2000, 18:28
There are companies out there that pay you on your approvals not on time served, (try the charter industry)might not sound so good but young people seem always to do well when they start to get their tickets.