PDA

View Full Version : The state of the industry

oh_ring
24th Jan 2000, 22:40
Would like to start a threat with reasoned and polite opinions of the current state of the (UK) airline/aircraft maintenance industry. Of particular interest would be comments concerning maintenance inputs, staffing levels and management attitudes.
I am not a journo - I am an aircraft engineer who is not a little concerned with the way things are going. For example, are maintenance inputs scheduled according to the time available and what can be done in the time? Or is some consideration given to the actual workload (scheduled, unscheduled,modifications and overrun)and the time required to complete said tasks?

freddie the fish
24th Jan 2000, 22:57
All of the places I have worked for the past 3 years have been under-staffed, which works in my favour as a contractor.
Smaller companies seem to take into consideration the jobs required and plan as best they can to have enough manpower and tooling etc. available when a check comes up. This in itself can be problematic as manpower and spares are more of a premium at a smaller company, but there is more thought used in the process. Larger companies generally have enough people around to "blitz" any last minute problems - with varying degrees of success. Management decisions seem to be more distant in my opinion, at larger companies, but some do have a good raport with the shop floor workers and have half a clue what's going on. That said, there are many places where the company would seem to function a lot smoother with no management input at all!

oh_ring
25th Jan 2000, 00:32
Freddie - could you email me? I've got some questions about contracting.

Leatherman
25th Jan 2000, 03:44
Just look at the third reply to interviews thread to get a perverse view from one dead head.But there are a lot just like that one!
Also there is a lot of ageism both directions these days.Beware about taking any overseas lengthy assignments because when you come back it will be difficult,to say the least,to fit in.

gas path
25th Jan 2000, 19:25
HHMMM! not sure what you meen there Leatherman.I'm sure none of us would lower our standards...if thats what was being hinted at! Staffing levels have been dropping steadily thoughout the industry for several years now. I don't think that i've seen any appentices for quite a long time now,they were always a good source assistance whilst on the 'learning curve!.
I've never come across any ageism either way,I know someone who has just taken early retirement and got an interview for another job. Also more should be done to encourage younger people to take up aircraft engineering and take their licences.I feel that there is a bit of a vacuum forming.
I agree with you on overseas contracts though, even for the guys who work for a company and want to return to base,they are never quite sure where to fit back in.

cheers!!
-------------------------
I must do my electrics oh! damn! and props!!!!