PDA

View Full Version : Were you planning to go to Mumbai?

rotornut
27th Jul 2005, 13:23
All domestic and international flights to and from Mumbai have been cancelled for a second day. Runways are under water and air traffic controllers and scores of other airport staff have not reported for work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4720343.stm

surely not
27th Jul 2005, 13:54
I hear they are awash with complaints as people flood the switchboard to rain a torent of abuse on the staff that have made it in and are carrying out their duties swimmingly.

I also have a sinking feeling that someone will wave the red flag at this post, accusing me of mocking a disaster. Not so, my sympathies go out to all concerned and caught up in the situation I just think the English language a wonderful medium for double meanings.

chippy63
27th Jul 2005, 14:16
Yup, I was on 139 out of LHR on Tuesday- we're perched in DXB, and the aircraft will go back to LHR early Thurs morning, with those of us who were only going for a couple of days anyway.

Funny, I was in Dubai Monday on the way back from holiday.

BA staff have done a good job of looking after passengers, but obviously many Indian passengers want to get back to check on relatives and properties.

er340790
27th Jul 2005, 16:51
37 inches of rain in 24 hours - time to get that ASES rating!

HowlingWind
27th Jul 2005, 17:07
There was also a potentially catastrophic fire on an offshore oil platform in Bombay High. The heavy rains in Mumbai apparently limited the number of choppers available for SAR.

http://www.ndtv.com/topstories/showtopstory.asp?slug=Fire+destroys+ONGC+platform+at+Bombay+ High&id=17416

Jordan D
27th Jul 2005, 18:25
Jet have cancelled their flight today ... any news on VS or BD?

Jordan

srs what?
27th Jul 2005, 20:03
Jet, BA, BD, VS and Air India all cancelled. The airport is closed so no services whatsoever.

Alpha Leader
28th Jul 2005, 05:44
Visiting Bombay Airport's web site (www.mumbaiairport.com), you would never think anything is amiss.

Despite planes having been turned away since Tuesday, 26 July, there is no mention of any inconvenience (if that is what you want to call an airport closure) to pax at all. :\

Under "What's new" we learn that BMI intend to fly to Bombay, and under "Passenger Info" we find a tremendously interesting list of how many gates the airport has. :confused:

I had to find out from 9W about my flight having been cancelled yesterday, and my wife was informed by TG about her flight cancellation. The airport itself, seems totally oblivious to what is going on :mad:

Jordan D
28th Jul 2005, 06:30
I think you'll find that that is actually an unofficial site, and there isn't an official site in the way of most European airports which update the situation.

Jordan

ratarsedagain
28th Jul 2005, 10:27
Todays BA139 canx.
BA still showing BOM as closed although understand that the domestic airlines have started operating again.
Can't get onto the Air India flight to find out if they are going to be operating to LHR today. Anyone have any info on them or VS or BD?
Thanks,
Rat.

Crosswind Limits
28th Jul 2005, 13:11
I am due to take a relative to LHR later today and she is booked on AI 130 dep 2130. Other than what I get here it is so difficult to get any updates. Air India's web site is permanently down and I have been unable to get through to the numbers that I have for Air India. I have had unconfirmed reports that AI have cancelled this evenings flights but I don't know for sure.

If anyone has any updated information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

farmer jo
28th Jul 2005, 19:06
Was flying out of LHR today absolute chaos, more Indians than a J Wayne movie, Hope they all get home soon !!

Jordan D
28th Jul 2005, 19:18
And I thought I was the only one having difficiulties getting onto the AI website!

As far as I know BOM is still closed (when I last spoke to Uncle who works at the airport), but that may have changed within the last 2-4 hrs.

Jordan

BombayDuck
31st Jul 2005, 05:28
Still closed today. the rains have returned in force and the isibility is terrible. Its 11 AM right now and its been raining quite bad since 3 AM or so. Or at least I remember waking up in the middle of the night with the sound of the rain.....

The backlog of flights cancelled and passengers stuck is tremendous, I know of at least three people whose flights have been pushed to a later date. One is due to fly tonight after his original flight was supposed to leave on thursday, but lets wait and see if this is going to happen.

If you plan to visit bombay, well, I suggest November... :rolleyes:

Mr @ Spotty M
31st Jul 2005, 08:33
Airport Re-opens
The first flight to touch down was a Jet Airways Airbus A-340 flight from London, airport official said, adding that the airport was made operational at around 1130 hours.
Also NOTE: BMI are going to change the days of operation to Mumbai soon.

BombayDuck
31st Jul 2005, 13:49
ah so thats what Jet is using to their London flights! I assumed that since they had 737s for their short haul local flights they went for 747s for this route....

anyway, there still was some problem at BOM, at least one runway was shut for a bit when an AI 744 rolled beyond the runway and got its nosewheel stuck in the grass (mud, more like it).... dont know whether it is back in action

Jordan D
31st Jul 2005, 15:01
For those interested:

AI 747 on the grass is covered in Rumours/News.
BMI flight change is covered in the BMI drops St Lucia/Washington thread.

Seems its all fun and games at BOM

Jordan