PDA

View Full Version : RAF flight line mechanics

rerackit
22nd Jan 2000, 01:26
As an ex flm,(flm course 92),i would be interested to know if there are any others out there who started their careers from this route.

greaseytech
22nd Jan 2000, 03:31
Yes I was a FLM, course 13A/73. Got my tech course in 1980 (A-Tech-P) and now work for White Hatters A & C licensed with approvals. In my RAF days I worked on Harriers as a FLM, Jag engine bay, Hunter majors, Phantoms and Hercs. I have also had a stint on General Aviation, but prefer the big stuff. There are quite a few of us ex-FLM,s left; in fact a mate phones up and says 'Remember so-and-so'. Now most who are still in the RAF are in desk jobs, but I feel I did the right thing and left when the time was right, and have no regrets.

How about you? If you don't want to tell your life story on this forum then drop me an e-mail.

By the way, I posted a similar request on the Contacts Forum and got no response what so ever. Good luck with your search.

spook
26th Jan 2000, 01:15
Me too! FLM 169(Sep 1980). The first day I arrived at Halton it was snowing (Nov) and I thought - My God I've come to Colditz! So then to Phantoms, 228OCU - RAFG, 19(F) with a short tour on 23 in the middle. Then Cosford to become a NAV INSTY. Harriers, 233OCU for a few years then OUT! Back to school then wandering between flight simulation and kitting yachts out with electronics. Back to school - again, then flew south to warmer climes. Been working in 'Bus' town for some six years now. - systems and powerplant.
I agree with Greasytech - had a great time but when the time came to go, it was any easy choice and I definately have no regrets.

greaseytech
26th Jan 2000, 01:28
Spook, I was at Halton all of 1980 on my Techs course! Small world ain't it! And when were you on Tooms? I was on 92 from 1985 to 1988. Hated it! Especially the WO, known as The Antichrist. He came from 19 after being promoted up from Flt Sgt. He had silver hair!If you remember any names from those days, give us a bell and we can see if there are any mutaul aquaintences.

Seems that, like so many of us, you did well for your self after leaving.

spook
26th Jan 2000, 02:33
Greaseytech,
19 from '81 - '83. But still, let me get back off this trip - get the photo albums out and then I'll get in touch!

-------------------------
'Did you shave with a mirror 'boy''? - No Corp., I shaved with a razor!!!!

spook
27th Jan 2000, 04:43
Surely, there are more than three of us???!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Denzil
27th Jan 2000, 22:54
Not who will admit to it!

Still at least you did not start a thread about Direct Entry type's.

[This message has been edited by Denzil (edited 27 January 2000).]

greaseytech
28th Jan 2000, 02:16
Direct Entries? You are swaring again Denzil! I never met a bigger bunch of jumped up know-it-alls in my life!