PDA

View Full Version : Political correctness gone mad.

A37575
27th Jul 2005, 12:28
A report in a UK newspaper said that in one school the teachers do not say a student has failed an exam, as that can upset the student's ego and self confidence.

Instead the new terminology for fail is Deferred Success!

Try that in the simulator...

wishtobflying
27th Jul 2005, 13:23
But we already have that ... it's called "Not Yet Competent"

haughtney1
27th Jul 2005, 18:49
Thats tame compared to some of the stuff that you hear about in the UK.....:hmm:

Jenna Talia
27th Jul 2005, 23:09
But we already have that ... it's called "Not Yet Competent"

As far as I can recall, it has always been known as, Subject to Operational Clearance or SOC.

Tutaewera
27th Jul 2005, 23:34
Situation normal these days I'm afraid!

Available much closer to home if you like. The kiwi Labour Govt got rid of most high school exams years ago for the same reason.

Dumbed down the system to let more of their future voters through perhaps? As a result many NZ private schools went to the UK Cambridge exams to ensure their students got something marketable.

Can't figure out why its better to delay the shock of someones inabilities until they hit the job market. Surely its better to give kids some steerage on their strengths early enough to redirect their training to something they'll be good at.

But then I don't have a PhD and belong to a "land rights for gay whales now" club - must be why I can't see the benefit!

Aviation is IMHO one of the few areas of training where you generally get the grade you deserve. Although like others I'm sure, I have seen many cases where the "std" varies for political reasons...

:O