PDA

View Full Version : Is PPRuNe Pop a Kill joy? A PPRuNe Vote

Fg Off Bloggs
27th Jul 2005, 11:45
Re: Spitfire out of the weeds

After only very mild banter and only a few posts, PPRuNe Pop closes the Spitfire thread!

Are the moderators getting above their station?

Are we, the punters, getting a bit beyond ourselves?

Is the military forum on PPRuNe no longer being used for what it was originally intended?

Or

Is BEagle actually PPRuNe Pop? (and, as they say in Dad's Army, "doesn't like it up him)?

Which of the above do you consider to be the problem?

VOTE NOW

BEagle
27th Jul 2005, 12:43
No, I am not he. For those who haven't met him, he is a very genial chap who is most certainly not 'getting above his station'

But I share his frustration at those who cannot discriminate between personal abuse and 'normal' aircrew (OK, then, 'military') banter. Comments made to others such as "Just sometimes on PPRuNe you come across as a sanctimonious, over-inflated a**e! Is this because of your pseudonym or are you actually just as self-indulgent and arrogant as you seem!?" being a case in point, Fg Off Bloggs.....

Which is why the thread was closed.

The Mil Forum isn't what it once was, I agree. It'd be nice if it ever returned to that standard though.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jul 2005, 12:52
Wot me? :p

That link has been on PPRuNe time and time again.

You can see it anytime you want by doing a search and, I might add, you can still use the link, but I take my household chores seriously, I got a hard boss who whacks me when I slack. Even though I do it in my spare time. :{

Like I say, use the search engine and copy it so you don't have to see it on PPRuNe again ;)

Sometimes, even good clips get boring you know - and take up unnecessary bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Incidentally where have been Bloggs?

I do get above my station though. The one I live next to..............every day............when I Pop meself into bed :p

Fg Off Max Stout
27th Jul 2005, 12:59
As a fellow member of the Flying Officer Mafia (or am I? Maybe I'm a Gp Capt) all I can say is this. The video in question is ancient and is all over the net already. I am sure 99% of pruners have already watched it. That said, I would encourage any who finds an interesting nugget in the www to flag it up for our inspection.

The clincher was that it instantly became abusive and uninteresting. Banter is funny however harsh it is. Reversionary banter of the 'your mum' and 'f--k off' type is abusive, not entertaining and not necessary.

That thread reached critical mass, went divergent and became a waste of valuable online time. Hence, it was put out of its (and our) misery. No snags with Beags or PPP.

Not like the good old days when you were a lad, eh, Beags. Youth of today and all that.

Fg Off Bloggs
27th Jul 2005, 13:12
PPRuNe Pop,

I've been biding my time, reading the forum and getting increasingly frustrated by the level to which it has dropped generally and recently.

Hence my topic, you just happened to fit the role of an opening line and I hoped for some informed opinion from others about the fact that perhaps we, the punters, are responsible for this particular forum's declining value IMHO.

I had an idle moment! You, Beags and Max didn't vote but at least responded and so we will wait out and see where it goes from here - to page 2 and beyond quite quickly, I suspect.

Bloggs

PS, Sheesh, Beags, you don't bear a grudge do you?

BEagle
27th Jul 2005, 13:34
Not against you, chum!

'Fg Off's Unions' were before my time, I'm afraid Max. But quite honourable institutions, I gather!

Red Line Entry
27th Jul 2005, 14:58
Of course, Max, if you were really a gp capt you would have done the staff courses to know that capital letters should not be used when referring to the rank alone!!!

HTB
27th Jul 2005, 15:23
Well Bloggs, if it's a vote you want, then no, PPrune Pop is not a killjoy (was that the entering argument?); his point about repetition and ease of finding earlier versions of this topic are valid. Moreover, he could see, using his vast experience, where this thread was heading as the banter started deteriorating, so good call.

boswell bear
27th Jul 2005, 18:38
I thought BEagle was bit harsh but didn't see the replys so I cant comment on the rest. Most of us will have seen the footage a couple of seconds after it appeared on the net but there is always gonna be someone who's only just seen it so if a thread is repeated or it bores you then don't read it and if you do keep your cheap shots to yourself.

Tourist
27th Jul 2005, 18:45
Some of my favourite banter involves "your mum" max!

k1rb5
27th Jul 2005, 21:29
Once again Mr BEagle sir, I doff my cap to your greatness.
Next time I will think twice before posting something I thought some may find interesting. Maybe I should PM you first to see what you think. http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/boese_smilies/19.gifhttp://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/schlafende/4.gif

FJJP
28th Jul 2005, 06:13
Some people on this forum achieve a first rate standing and the respect of his fellow professionals for the quality of banter, helpfulness, level of experience and level-headedness.

Like Beagle.

Then someone loses an argument, gets a dig in the ribs, can't see the other point of view [or won't] and resorts to personal abuse. Or sarcasm.

It happens time and time again - it's like a well-used template and is an indication of the maturity of the individual.

Like k1rb5.

No, I didn't vote. Because the MODs give of their free time keeping things neat and tidy and legal and decent. And it's their teddy and cot, and if they decide they don't like something they will dump the thread.

If you don't like it - tough. Use the copious quantities of your spare time to create your own site whereupon you can moderate all you like to your own standards.

Meantime, whether I agree with a MOD or not, I respect his decision and reserve comment to a PM to him expressing my feelings in a civilised manner [and receive a reply in similar fashion].

k1rb5
28th Jul 2005, 17:08
I was away over the weekend and didn't witness the "banter" that resulted in the first thread being removed. Sorry gentlemen if I appeared a little upset by BEagles comments on the second thread. He just gave me the impression that this forum is somewhat elitist. I was not aware that the clip had been on here previously otherwise I would not have wasted everyones time with it.

Thanks to all those who PM'd on the subject.

Best wishes to all.

K1rb5

FJJP
28th Jul 2005, 19:43
k1rb5

Your apology is generous and I publically withdraw my remarks in relation to you.

I would like to reassure you that this particular forum is not in the least elitist - I know many of the personalities and they are all professional and down-to-earth people. I include Beagle in my list - we served together on the same base at one time.

FJJP

k1rb5
28th Jul 2005, 20:42
http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/daumen_hoch/3.gif

BEagle
28th Jul 2005, 20:49
Yes - thanks for that post, k1rb5.

Time to kiss and make up - but no tongues, OK?

;)

PPRuNe Pop
28th Jul 2005, 21:08
Bloggs dear chap! Do you want to continue with this? Can if you like but I do like those people who have the b***s to offer apologies when they are a touch offside. Thanks.

Goodnight all. :D

PPP

k1rb5
29th Jul 2005, 00:54
http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/sport/18.gif Fight Fight Fight. Pistols gentlemen???? Can't we all just kiss and make up http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/essen___trinken/21.gif and have a http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/party_smilies/19.gif over it sometime for http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/sexy_smilies/3.gif's sake.http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/finger/51.gif

Danny
29th Jul 2005, 14:34
"I got a hard boss who whacks me when I slack. Even though I do it in my spare time."
:bored: :bored: :bored:

Errrrrr... care to reword that?

I've been accused of perverted logic at times but that sentence takes the biscuit, considering the connotations of the word 'whack'! :ooh:

What you do whether you're "hard" or "slack" in your spare time is of no interest to me... and I hope neither to anyone else on here. :yuk: :ugh:

As for the rest of you... this forum is only 'elitist' if you think it is. :confused:

PPRuNe Pop
29th Jul 2005, 15:40
:D :D :D :D :D

I swear it didn't occur to me! But at times the leather thongs do hurt and you can hear the whack! :{

Still someone has to suffer. ;)

BEagle
29th Jul 2005, 17:22
Good grief - a PPRuNe underwear thread?

I'm not surprised that leather thongs hurt.....

:p

Speedpig
29th Jul 2005, 17:56
He just gave me the impression that this forum is somewhat elitist

:uhoh:
you mean it's not...... that's the only reason I joined.:} :cool: