PDA

View Full Version : current salaries with various airlines

aeroguru
21st Apr 2000, 00:17
A friend of mine is returning from the land of sand and sidiqy after ten or so years and asked me about the various pay packages with the U.K. carriers.I'm not that up with it at the moment,but would I be about right to say that his best bet would be Virgin at around 40k p.a. plus shift plus approval pay?
And would I be about right for the worst being B.M.A. at around 26k p.a.plus shift???
He is A and C with B747-200/CF6/RR AND-400/RR
and I think he has A330/A340/CFM56/PW4000.Buckets full of experience if that is worth anything these days?Big disadvantage at being about 45?
Please add to this thread if you know better

Denzil
21st Apr 2000, 08:08
aeroguru, I would love to know the source of your information. With approval pay BMA are better off than VS, a couple of the types mentioned (-400/RB211 & A340/CFM56) are approvals that can attract approval pay at BMA as they carry out "A" checks for CX at LHR. The pay at VS is well behind the competition (except BA) with a basic of only about 28K (includes licence & first approval) with a couple of types you are looking at a total of about 32-33k. Flying Colours and AIR 2000 are paying better not sure about the others. Another good earner is easytech.

------------------
"Noted With Thanks"

Jelly Jewellery
21st Apr 2000, 21:59
28-30k???
Can people live on that?

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 55K

I'd get into bed for $10 though!

You guys should have stayed on at school and become pilots like us.

Tnuoc Alucard
22nd Apr 2000, 11:49
You must be talking about the bigish operators, the regionals are on a lot less than that.
The company that I work for here in Manchester, pay

£25,294.58 Starting (approval pay is only 3500 at this point)

£26,807.08 1 year

£27,319.58 2nd year

£27,832.08 3 rd

£28,344.58 4th

£28,857.08 5th

this includes 4500 approval pay which is not on basic so no hi O/T rate or pension.

Shift pay varies on top of this, again not on basic. We get 3000 for 2 days 2 nights. Line work - but our base maint guys get the same as us.
The Big Airline also here, pay is less than this I believe.
We are the biggest regional operator in the country ( so our blurb says) But wages are starting to lack behind a little.

Good thread, lets see if we can overcome our reluctance to discuss pay (The pilots manage to do it ok)

Oh yes the pilot that believes we left school early, may well be able to tell me why we have to do 4 years before the CAA will even consider us for a Licence, where as the fly boy world seems to be 'if you can afford it after 18 months your in'.
Just ask the pilots here, who helps them with their maths and physics from night school.
Oh yes the trolly dollies who transfer to flight deck and ticket desk people and even the stores (no offence meant to these people of course)must all have stayed on at school too.
never mind the way the industry is going it will mean that there will not be enough engineers soon (some companies are already there now)

[This message has been edited by Tnuoc Alucard (edited 22 April 2000).]

penitoff
22nd Apr 2000, 20:12
Jelly Jewellery, we did stay on at school. That's why we're engineers and not pilots...

Leatherman
23rd Apr 2000, 00:04
Jelly,just visit to insult us?We know what an f/o gets and we know what they are worth and there is a big difference.You wouldn't get out of bed,and that is why you are full of it and so is your bed.Keep chasing the older women because they may have some money and pay for dinner.Something you would not consider.
On the modern flight deck they were designed for one Roger to sit alongside a dog.The dog was to bite the Roger if he tried to touch anything.But the airlines didn't want to pay for Pal and Kennomeat so they decided to keep the f/o.Only the f/o can't bite only grovel.

aeroguru
23rd Apr 2000, 00:22
Denzil, and others,thankyou for the follow up.I did say I wasn't up on the latest rates.
I had forgotten about BMA at LHR being such a big operation now.And I perhaps overated VS because a friend of mine told me that in 15 years hardly any L.A.E. had ever left them.But I now believe the average salary for an L.A.E. to be around 35k.p.a.
Incidentally,why is it so difficult to discuss money when applying for a U.K. job.It's as if they don't want you to know until they offer you,and after all of the discussions etc.,and then you find they are not offering a living wage.
By the way anyone know what Emirates are paying?Oh and Jelly;just sit in the right seat and shut up.The captain don't even trust you to calculate the fuel.And Airbus don't even trust you to taxi so they don't give you a tiller!

The hippy
23rd Apr 2000, 01:09
chaps

Try the Jelly Jewellery thread in the pilots "rumours and news section"

H721
24th Apr 2000, 04:04
Aeroguru,

Hardly had any LAE left VS for the last 15 years? If I'm not wrong at least 2 such guys are already in fragrant harbour.

------------------
Not much of an engineer

oh_ring
24th Apr 2000, 15:55
The green, white and blue airline of T. Cook pay their line guys just short of £37200 all inclusive + o/t.

Penn Doff
24th Apr 2000, 18:16
H721, you are correct, we have also had people leave for flying colours plus oversea's jobs. If the gossip is correct more to follow. The pay is not the best and new employee's get less leave than the "ten year club" old sweats. Staff travel is very good, although if you have kids forget it, subload tickets are a non starter in holiday season. Annual staff party good, but this doesn't pay the bills!!! With the current shortage of engineers company's need to offer that little bit extra, most people want good pensionable rates of basic pay, not a low basic with additions for approvals etc.

------------------
"please report further"