PDA

View Full Version : Chieftain off Runway at Nhill?

Sunfish
25th Jul 2005, 23:40
The ABC is reporting a Chieftain "went into a paddock next to the runway" (their words), on take off for Charlton, four in Hospital, hopefully not badly injured. Last night at about 6.30pm

Is anything known about this?

Desert Flower
26th Jul 2005, 00:42
From the Adelaide Advertiser:

Four hurt in light-plane accident

26jul05
A LIGHT plane about to take off from a Victorian airfield has run off a runway, across a road and into a paddock, injuring four men.

The 12-seater twin-engine Piper Chieftain was set to take off from the Nhill Airfield in the state's west at 6.30pm (AEST) yesterday when the incident happened, police said.

None of the men was seriously injured and all were in a stable condition, a Rural Ambulance spokeswoman said.

A 32-year-old man was briefly unconscious after suffering lacerations to his head, while a 34-year-old man suffered a fractured leg and head cuts.

A third man was treated for possible spinal injuries after complaining of a sore back, while the pilot suffered an ankle injury and neck and back pain.

The men were taken to Nhill Hospital before being transferred to Wimmera Base Hospital.

The plane, which had flown from Moorabbin to Essendon, Ouyen and then Nhill, had been bound for Charlton.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 12 seater Chieftain? Hmmm....

DF.

Di_Vosh
26th Jul 2005, 01:13
Pretty much the same news article in the Australian

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16052940%255E1702,00.html

Not sure where they get 12 seats from either....

Any idea of the rego?

DIVOSH!

Brian Abraham
26th Jul 2005, 02:57
12 seater??? Its just the media again.

I remember headlines in a paper many years ago reporting on a Florida crash........ forty passengers die in crash of four engine Cessna 150.

Was actually a twin otter.

NAMPS
26th Jul 2005, 03:13
12 seats in a Chieftain???

No wonder it ran off the runway...:} :8

muddergoose
26th Jul 2005, 08:48
It looked like PRJ. Don't quote me.

Desert Flower
26th Jul 2005, 10:05
It looked like PRJ. Don't quote me.
:{

DF.

GABLUES
26th Jul 2005, 11:07
:confused: Sure was PRJ ???

Horatio Leafblower
26th Jul 2005, 13:53
...a chieftain ran off the end of RWY 11 at Scone late last week, I think Friday.

I was looking at the wheel marks as I approached on RWY 29 and I was trying to work out who had landed short :rolleyes:

...then a mate showed me a photo, which I shall endeavour to post here :ok:

A37575
28th Jul 2005, 11:36
Any more news on what caused the Chieftain to prang? Kangaroo strike perhaps? Burst tyre? Door open on take off and abort? I would have thought that other Chieftain pilots would be most interested to learn from the accident.

Screwed™
28th Jul 2005, 21:01
According to a passenger, it was a deliberate, controlled aborted take off that ran out of the black stuff. Don't know why the decision, albeit late, was made.

Di_Vosh
29th Jul 2005, 09:13
I heard yesterday that it was PRJ. :(

Certainly the best one for hire at MB.

Bugger!

A37575
29th Jul 2005, 12:03
Latest rumour is that the control locks may have been inadvertently left in. Some Chieftains have control locks , others don't.

Kompressor
30th Jul 2005, 05:07
Issues to be considerd here are:

Trim positioned for takeoff? - most chieftains are on or outside forward limit with two up front. If there were 4 POB this will ease the CofG situation assuming the other were in seat(s)4 and 5 or further aft.
If there was no unsecured cabin baggage and all baggage was in the nose then bugga, we have a problem!
PRJ was the Chieftain, it is fitted with a control lock which was a feature of early model Navajo's and Navajo Chieftains. Likewise some very early models have no gear warning horn, just a flashing light.
In the case of a pilot with extensive experience on the C402 and C404, which is the case, a tempory lapse of judgement may have led to a poor load distribution.
I know the pilot and I know he will tell the truth, and we'll all benefit by this. Likewise I know the aircraft owner will replace the aircraft and it too will be a top notch aircraft.

A37575
30th Jul 2005, 09:50
So at this stage Chieftain pilots in Australia will not be able to learn from this survivable accident as no one is talking. Oh well, maybe ATSB will publish something next year - or the year after. I can see its findings now. Significant Factors:
I. It was at Nhill. 2. an abort was conducted. 3. It was dark. 4. Minor injuries. 6. Some damage to the aircraft and a fence. 7 Pilot was properly licenced and within legal duty time. 8 Current maintenance release was carried. 9. Circumstances were consistent with? No idea.

OzExpat
30th Jul 2005, 11:30
So what happened to finding number 5? The world needs to know! :}

tipsy
30th Jul 2005, 13:24
OZ, I believe #5 was deleted from the CVR transcript as a "non-pertinent word":E

tipsy
:yuk: :yuk: furball:yuk: :yuk:
Don't lie, cheat or steal the Government hates competition.

iceblock
4th Aug 2005, 01:08
I heard a rumour that perhaps the full length was not used. In fact it appears to have been an intersection departure...

tinpis
4th Aug 2005, 01:21
...aircraft overan runway after rejected take off from intersection in Nhill wind conditions? :hmm:

OZBUSDRIVER
4th Aug 2005, 06:48
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHA:D

scenicflight
9th Aug 2005, 03:11
ICEBLOCK, where do you get your information? Do you have many hours in PA31's?

iceblock
9th Aug 2005, 05:43
I'm sure I have about as much as you, although I wouldn't have as many "chieftain rego's" in my logbook! I don't have chieftain test pilot status either unlike yourself!!!

Di_Vosh
9th Aug 2005, 14:30
ICEBLOCK (*sigh*)

I heard a rumour that perhaps the full length was not used. In fact it appears to have been an intersection departure...

You go from rumour to "in fact" from one sentence to another.

I was flying in Western VIC that day and there were strong and gusty W-NW winds. 1830 departure would mean taking off on 27 (only rwy with lighting).

Looking at the ERSA for Nhill an intersection departure would give him around 500m for a take off.

I don't know the pilot, and I don't know what happened. But I'd find it pretty difficult to believe that anyone in their right mind would try to take off a Chieftain in 500m of runway.

Can you back up your rumours (sorry, "facts")?

DIVOSH!!

iceblock
9th Aug 2005, 19:55
Di Vosh (sigh) you are far too clever for me and have picked up on a mistake I made which I didn't even notice, proving that yes you are indeed clever.

Well to have evidence to satisfy you I guess you will be requiring some sort of photographic evidence, written declaration from the pilot, first hand accounts from eye witnesses. Let me prepare my defence. Some of it may not be admissable in a court of law so let me juct sort through everything I've got. It's been cluttering the house up anyway so I will be happy to get rid of it all.

This "rumour" came by way of an insurance company. You are correct in your calculation of 500m from intersection. My opinion is it is believable...

Since we are in a pedantic mood at a glance I have spotted three errors in your post and will consider drawing them to your attention (that does not mean I will draw a picture for you, sorry but I must be careful as you are taking everything at it's literal meaning). It seems I have hit a raw nerve with you, I will try to be more careful with my grammer next time.