PDA

View Full Version : Help Involving Training and Becoming a Pilot

LewisS
25th Jul 2005, 18:50
Hi All,

Although i am quite a new member of this site i already find the information available useful along with the vast array of experience the people who post here can call upon.

I have just finished a college course in ICT but have decided to follow in my childhood dream of becoming a pilot. I'm am 21 years old and live in england.

The aim of my post is to ask for information on how i can train to be a pilot? What information i need? Who should i get in contact with? And what my next step would be?

Please take for granted i am starting with NO experience of anything to do with aviation apart from flying a few times to reach holiday destinations so please keep any replies quite simple - thanks a lot .............!

Lew

Frank Furillo
25th Jul 2005, 19:49
Hi LewisS
You have asked a very loaded question.

Well in order to hold an Airline Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL) you need a valid Class One Medical, so the first thing you should do is contact the CAA and book a medical, you can get that
here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527)

Then you can start the training. Do a search on here to look at various schools and courses available, Intergrated (Full Time study) or Modular (Part Time study). This all depends on how much money you have...... I was quoted £30K by a school for Zero Hours to fATPL (Frozen ATPL, that is a CPL/IR with written passes in ATPL exams), I wish that was the truth, more like £40K at least, whatever you are told be prepared to spend more.

Where do you want to train, here or abroad????? Again there are advantages to both do a search and ask around.
I would also not use a school that require ALL your training money up front.

The basic modular structure is follows:
PPL 45 hours, £4995 or $4995
Night Rating 5 hours, £666 or $650
100 hours hour building (Cessna 172), £11000 or $10000
Ground School Course £2000
CPL Training 25 hours, £5655 or $4995
Multi Engine Rating 6 hours, £1860 or $1995
Instrument Rating £9559 or £8543 (with 30 Hours done in the USA)
SO you could have your licence for £35735 (all in the UK) or £22333 (most in the USA)
This does not include exams, landing or approach fees or any hours over the minimum, these prices are off one schools website and are exact prices without any accomodation.

Or you could go Intergrated
This school offers accomodation in the price and all landing, approach fees and one atempt in all exams.
£63559.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions.
FF