PDA

View Full Version : Wassup with SAA

itaxi
25th Jul 2005, 14:06
Expats here in the States are falling over their feet to get tickets via Europe to SA.
#1 reason : The stop over in JHB, if you are going to Cape Town, is BS
#2 : The legroom taken up by the audio box on the small A340-600 is pathetic
#3 : The seats are as thin as paper
#4 : the seat incline to rest, is less than 10 degrees

If I get anymore emails asking what route they should take to Cape Town, I am opening up an agency. Had 16 mails again this morning.
PS - the "other" airlines has seen the Cape Town cancellation by SAA as a major breakthru to increase traffic flow to their planes. Prices have been slashed from UK to SA return.
So, you eticket from the States to London. Then you eticket from London to CT, return and it works out cheaper and you are flying in a 747-400 (thank God)
You can be picked up in London for a short city tour, stretch your legs, have a beer or a cuppa and take the overnight to Cape Town. If you are going to waste time anywhere, make it the UK, at your own expense and not JHB, as a waste of time.

barry lloyd
30th Jul 2005, 00:09
itaxi

Interesting post, but I assume you mean JNB (Johannesburg). JHB is in Malaysia, and confused me intially - not difficult admittedly, but I did wonder how SAA'a route structure could stretch so far!

PAXboy
30th Jul 2005, 11:47
Wassup? I can only suggest that they are going through the usual corporate cycle of:[list=1]
Doing OK.
Competition Arrives. (or political change or any similar highly disruptive event)
Not doing so well, as they had got used to the old way of doing things.
New CEO and then it starts to slide as they take short term measures to please owners/shareholders/politicians/etc.
Next CEO doesn't do much better.
The accountants arrive.
Company now being run by people who do not have the business in their heart.
Company continues to make bad decisions. Marketing people have their turn at trying to fix it.
You fill in the rest of the list....
[/list=1] I have seen this cycle fairly continuously in ALL areas of corporate (and political) life for the past 20 years and SAA are simply working their way through the list, checking the boxes as they go. :ugh: