PDA

View Full Version : Modular Students@OAT

b737-4
25th Jul 2005, 11:45
Hi all,

Have any of you modualar students been given any interviews by OAT after you graduated?

Cheers

b737

Craggenmore
25th Jul 2005, 22:47
Have you read page 42 of this weeks Flight International (26 July onwards), the letters page entitled, "Wrong type of course"...

Its sad reading but true. With the first APP graduations, Oxford Management structured all Airline interest and interviews to go to the APP students who had just spent £70,00 (its now reduced to £56k). They needed to do it to justify this whopping price tag.

(Interestingly, this price has now been reduced some £20,000 to £56,000 since OAT have implemented a money-return policy if you fail)

Many pre-APP students were overlooked as a result.

Tallbloke
26th Jul 2005, 07:55
The letter in Flight is a bit vague, the way I read it her husband did his groundschool with OATS but then she goes on to say that his flying training was done at Bournemouth. That being the case, I am not sure what she is upset about, unless she believes that a school should give the same degree of loyalty to someone who forks out £4K as someone who stumps up £70K. (BTW I am not connected with Oxford in any way, I am a modular student studying with BGS and intend to do my flight training in Exeter.)

Mercenary Pilot
26th Jul 2005, 09:07
I wouldnt be to disheartened. I few of my pals who are all modular (not Oxford though) have recently been given interviews and been invited to further stages (good luck guys!).

Things do seem to be picking up and I think OAT modular is held in higher regards than most. APP students are always going to get priority over modular but if you use the 20-30k you saved on a type rating with Ryanair or similar you stand probably a better chance of employment.

Disclamer: I dont want a big debate about type ratings Im just saying what I see. :}

AirHart
26th Jul 2005, 10:30
Hi,

I don't think OAT have changed their prices all that much. The APP has never cost £70k. So to say they've cut £20k off the cost is untrue.
I know plenty of pre-APP students that have been recommended by OAT to airlines and indeed gained employment.

Anything that raises OAT's reputation and standing with the airlines like the APP surely benefits ALL OAT students whichever course they choose! Am I wrong?

Not going to get into Intergrated v Modular, just wanted to put a couple of things straight...

Allen Key
26th Jul 2005, 11:02
I must start by saying I have not read the article in 'Flight' but I feel compelled to give my story.

I completed ALL of my flight training at Oxford as a modular student; gaining first time passes in all exams etc. When I signed up to the package I was told that I would get some sort of career assistance from the school although I had to appreciate |I was not an APP student. I finished last year and approached OAT with my CV. I had to badger them into including my name on the fortnightly newsletter, no help or guidance was offered and as soon as they found out I was modular all correspondence stopped.

I was employed at the time for a large UK based airline and had worked for them for a number of years. This airline approached OAT for a number of students and I applied internally. I believe OAT did all they could (Naturally) to promote their APP students over myself, a modular student to my employer. Very underhanded tactics !

I received first class training from OAT, that is not in doubt but as for career assistance afterwards...forget it

I have secured employment off my own back (Keep sending those cv's!) without ANY help from OAT. Just as I secured my job a new person took over career assistance at OAT and they emailed me to ask if I was interested a scheme they were running. So things could be getting better!

b737-4
26th Jul 2005, 13:15
hey guys,

Thanks for the replys and congrats to all you who have got a job, looks like I will just have to do all the hard work myself with little if any help.
I have to say that the training was second to none though for myself as a modular student.

b737-4

MorningGlory
28th Jul 2005, 12:48
I was a modular student also few years back. Never trained with OATS, however I still managed to get a job on a 73.

With experience you'll find and one day will appreciate that no matter where you train, or how good it all sounds when you've got a ppl, 70K of your dads or the banks money, and the fresh sales pitch from OATS or Cabair, it will be your own abilities only that will get you into the airlines.

People like OATS really on their 'image', and I have no doubt that they are an excellent training school. But it does not mean, and this is where so many people get it wrong, that if you can pay 70K for a course at OATS, that you will make it, a guy with 35K going the modular route may be a much more skilled pilot and more suitable to the airlines all round...

This argument does fall apart a bit though when some airlines incredibly still ask for ex integrated pilots only, even those with experience... who knows, all I can say is that I've seen ex airforce fighter pilots cock up approaches while sitting there giving the odd nudge or hint what to do next.. We are not all perfect, regardless of training school or previous experience..

b737-4
28th Jul 2005, 13:13
totally agree morning glory!!

jamesharlow
28th Jul 2005, 18:39
It is like anything in life - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I have just handed OAT a chck for 20k to complete my modular training - why did I choose them - not for airline contacts, but because they have an outstanding record for flight training. Have done some training with them - not ground school though - and I have never come across a more professional bunch. If I payed them 70k for Intergrated training - yes I would expect thoughs airline contacts, but hey OAT looks good on anyones CV, so here's to OAT's good name!