PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a DME?

Fat Boy Flyer
5th Jan 2000, 22:35
Bizarre question, I know.........
My boss just asked me where we can purchase a DME (ground station). I didn't know.
And how much would it cost?

FBF

Sorry about the confusion regarding the ground/air issue http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Fat Boy Flyer (edited 05 January 2000).]

BEagle
5th Jan 2000, 22:39
Narco DME 890 - around £1800(inc VAT) plus fitting!! Assuming that you mean a DME for the ac rather than an aerodrome DME!! Look on the back of Pilot for a typical advert. Alternatively, contact an expert such as the excellent RGV Aviation at Staverton for a quote.

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 05 January 2000).]

ATC Watcher
6th Jan 2000, 00:35
In case you want the ground Nav aid, you need a minimum of 3000 square meters and a good 380 Volts supply. Thomson CSF of France will oblige for less than a Million US$ .

Fat Boy Flyer
6th Jan 2000, 02:41
Yes, I did mean the ground station version. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier.
We have the 3000 sq metres, but i doubt the budget will run much beyond £10K http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif.
Any other bids?

Regards,

-FBF

mustafagander
6th Jan 2000, 07:06
FBF,
Think laterally - how much would it cost to fit your fleet with GPS?? :) Problem solved and a deal of flexibility gained!! :)

Fat Boy Flyer
6th Jan 2000, 13:29
Hi Mustafa,

we already have GPS fitted to our fleet and numerous other forms of navigation, but we also have our own airport and, in the interests of safety and general facilities improvement, we would like to have full time DME to go with our NDB.

regards,

FBF

Narada
9th Jan 2000, 12:19
No luck after searching the net for half an hour! Cardion (in the US) is one posssibility, but they don't seem to have a website. I am sure there are a few other manufacturers (some of the big names like GEC, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon come to mind, but their websites are no help).

I suggest you call your country's aviation regulatory organization's procurement people and ask them for contact information at the manufacturers. I suspect a DME ground station will be a big ticket item (>>$25K).

Richard Bristowe
10th Jan 2000, 02:50
It might be worth emailing [email protected] - he is a helluva helpful guy.

PS - wish somebody would replace OUR DME!

R.

------------------

jetstar
10th Jan 2000, 02:51
You might check with the USA or Aust for a
TACAN as used by the military. They have
portable units for their various operations
and occasionally these things come up for sale at various auctions.

Fat Boy Flyer
11th Jan 2000, 16:56
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
Regards,

FBF :)

[This message has been edited by Fat Boy Flyer (edited 11 January 2000).]