PDA

View Full Version : UK Airport Security vs OZ

Matt-YSBK
25th Jul 2005, 06:24
Does anybody know what they do in GA type airports in the UK and Europe? Do they have ASIC or ASIC type cards and ID’s background checks and the like? Since we have now hired an English Expert to tell us how we should be doing airport security (someone who has no idea I am sure how remote some of these airports are) it stands to reason that we will be getting a system close to what they have in the UK. Perhaps a shoot to kill policy for anyone not wearing an ASIC?

Ultralights
25th Jul 2005, 08:52
or perhaps thay have woken up to the fact that a light airctaft is no real threat and unlikely to be used in a terrorist attack. how much damage has been done by flying a light AC into a building? its been done quite a few times, and killed no one except the pilot.

but try telling that to the Australian Beauracracy

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jul 2005, 08:58
I have only frequented a few airfields of the type that would compare to YSBK etc..White Waltham, Duxfod and another that escapes me at present. White Waltham and the one I can't remember are direct equivalents whereas Duxford seems entirely warbirds/vintage flying.

Zero security about describes it and no-one wearing anything vaguely resembling an ATSIC card. In fact the general levels of security would about approximate YRED, YROM etc.

Completely sensible if you ask me.

currawong
25th Jul 2005, 09:43
Planes, trains, buses - none were attacked by crew.

All were attacked by pax, the security regime for which remains essentially unchanged.

Circus.

jandakotpilot
25th Jul 2005, 12:29
ASIC Cards are way over the top and all the CASA terrorisim checks we need!

I agree it is never the pilot! Always it is either the pax or the freight!

What does annoy me is people on a weekend around Jandakot wandering mindlessly around the tarmac looking in doors of aeroplanes... It is just rude, if they asked the operator to look inside I'm sure he would find a junior pilot to give them a guided tour.

Once I saw a man pull the covers off an aeroplane and put his 2 kids inside and they were banging around the control stick after hours one night.

But as we all have seen its just a delayed knee jerk reaction to the real problem at hand!

If the government keeps going the way that we are we will need an ASIC card to catch the train in the morning!

Ultralights
26th Jul 2005, 07:58
sadly i remember a quote i heard a few yrs ago by somone like the dali lama or similar.

"those who are willing to give up their civil liberties in exchange for percieved security, deserve neither their civil liberties or security."

as fas as im concerned, every new camera, every bag search, every patdown, every security check is another victory for terrorism.. :{ :{ :{

jandakotpilot
26th Jul 2005, 15:34
Ultralights...... That sums it up in a nutshell.

Well Said!

wishtobflying
26th Jul 2005, 19:33
''They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

redsnail
26th Jul 2005, 22:16
Security in the smaller UK GA airfields is pretty well non existant. However, don't even think about setting foot any where near airside without a high viz jacket on and you'll have some person from the airport demanding to know why you haven't got one on and fine you....