PDA

View Full Version : Right to Live and Work in the UK?

fly_guy100
25th Jul 2005, 02:31
I was thinking of becoming a cabin crew for Cathay Pacific in their LHR base, and yes I know that you need to speak an Asian language, so I was just wondering how difficult it is to get that certain right to live and work in the UK. Thank you everybody.

purr777
25th Jul 2005, 08:27
What nationality are you? If you are from an EEA state or have UK/European ancestry, you should not have a problem. If you are from an EEA accession state (Poland etc) you have to register to work in UK, but all other nationalities need a work permit and work visa. You will only be granted a work permit for the UK on firm offer of employment and generally if it is established that a UK or European national cannot fill the post.

Turroncin
25th Jul 2005, 10:01
Airlines generally will not sponser and pay for your work permit - you need the right before you you apply.

If you are not EEA/EU passport holder, then being the partner or spouse of a settled UK resident is the way to get the leave to remain in the UK.

Some airlines ask for permanent leave to remain which you get 2 years after the initial visa. If they ask for permanent leave to remain/right to live and work in the UK, you cannot apply with temporary "visit UK" work visas such as given to Australians.

EasyJet is one example of an enlightened company that takes on suitable candidates of any nationality as long as they can fly to all their destinations without the need to apply for a visa, and that they have leave to remain (even if only temporary).