PDA

View Full Version : Announcement re the Rocks

norvenmunky
24th Jul 2005, 15:08
As previously announced in July 2004, the role of providing Ground Based Air Defence (GBAD) is to be transferred to the Army and the four Royal Air Force GBAD squadrons disbanded.

These are:

37 Squadron RAF Regiment, RAF Wittering, to disband by March 2006
16 Squadron, RAF Honington, to disband by March 2007
15 Squadron, along with the GBAD Headquarters, RAF Honington, to disband by March 2008
26 Squadron, RAF Waddington, to disband by March 2008
This phased programme will allow the Royal Regiment of Artillery to take over the pan-Defence GBAD role in a progressive manner. The RAF Regiment will now focus on its role protecting other elements of the Armed Forces, particularly on deployed operations.

As part of the changes, both 3 Squadron RAF Regiment, based at RAF Aldergrove, and the Queen's Colour Squadron, based at RAF Uxbridge, will be expanded by around 40 personnel each in order to enhance their operational capability to match that of the other four regular RAF Regiment Field Squadrons. This will improve the units' ability to deploy on operations and so enhance the operational flexibility of the RAF Regiment in its Force Protection role.

Around 340 posts will be lost as a result of these changes. They form part of the 7,500 RAF post reductions also announced last July. As a consequence of that decision, the RAF has conducted an overall review of its structure and basing of the RAF Regiment. As a result, 1 Squadron RAF Regiment will move from RAF St Mawgan to RAF Honington by March 2007.

In addition 2625 (County of Cornwall) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment, based alongside 1 Squadron at RAF St Mawgan, will be disbanded with effect from November 2006. As Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment squadrons need to be based alongside regular units in order to maximise training opportunities and give the auxiliary personnel access to equipment held by the regular unit, with 1 Squadron's relocation, this would not be possible at St Mawgan. Around 75 reservists will be affected. Members of 2625 Squadron will be offered the opportunity to continue their reservist activities with other parts of the Armed Forces reservist organisation or with an alternative RAF unit elsewhere.

Secretary of State John Reid said:

"We are doing everything possible to mitigate the impact on the people affected by these announcements. Our current plans envisage that the majority of reductions will be achieved through a combination of natural wastage and voluntary early release but some compulsory redundancies may prove necessary. Staff and the trade unions are being kept fully informed of developments through meetings, briefings and formal consultation."

opso
24th Jul 2005, 16:25
I'm impressed that (judging by SoS DocR's final comment) the Regt appear to have been able to get themselves trade unions - still if any branch/trade was going to manage it...

SirToppamHat
24th Jul 2005, 17:37
norvenmonkey

Don't take this the wrong way way, but what exactly is your point? I think this is all old news.

In my view, the RAF gave up GBAD when it let Bloodhound go and failed to replace it with Patriot when the opportunity arose ... volumetrically speaking, the capability of Rapier is so limited as to be not worth considering in terms of the whole battlespace (dons kevlar helmet and awaits incoming). That said, from what dealings I have had with the RA, I would suggest that Rapier is now a far more potent threat than it ever has been in the hands of the RAF Regt ... unfortunately, it is now a greater threat to our own ac than any enemy.

What makes this whole change so silly is that it makes no sense whatsoever in terms of an overall milltary capability ... in fact, I am led to believe that Rapier was lost to the Army as part of a quid pro quo for something completely unrelated. Whilst the FUs can be trundled down the road and handed over to the RA, it's going to take a long long time for the RA to get close to the levels of expertise developed by the RAF Regt (that really hurt me to say).

Haven't we been here before?
Round and round and round we go, where it all stops .....

STH

Jacks Down
25th Jul 2005, 19:53
Sir Toppham,

Unfortunately, just about every word you say is true. I would tap your kevlar gently to point out that if you happen to be sat in the small part of the battlespace being defended by Rapier it does give you a few less things to worry about. Unless of course the Rapier in question is being operated by the Army, and you are in an aircraft, in which case: be very afraid!

JD

Fg Off Max Stout
25th Jul 2005, 20:33
Churchill's coffin is currently spooling up to about 3000rpm.

Scud-U-Like
26th Jul 2005, 13:44
Last year, I remember asking a very senior and well-informed RA type, who he thought would get the GBAD role. He said he thought it would be RAF Regt, because RA batteries end up rotating through general Army commitments (eg peacekeeping) and soon lose their currency on GBAD, whereas the RAF Regt Rapier sqns are dedicated to the one role. How wrong he was and it tends to suggest this decision was no more than a trade off.

The rocks, however, are past masters at 'adapt to survive'. Doubtless they'll soon be foisting more bloody GDT stuff upon the rest of us (yes, I know some of it is necessary, but some of it ain't).

spinstallaeropfl
26th Jul 2005, 16:13
First of all, currencies... they should always be for example, 13 and not 12 months.. the bloke who thought up the IRT currency did us all a favour... logic really...! As for the Regts next job, how about taking up all those new TACP/FAC jobs that are up and coming... more interesting than GBAD anyday.. just a thought.

SSAP

claude liardet
26th Jul 2005, 17:18
Don't worry, we'll find plenty to do!