PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a techie!

Bovingdon
6th Jan 2000, 04:39
Can anyone enlighten me on how to get started as a line/maintenance eng?
I understand you need to take exams and get type ratings for each a/c, however how can I get these? I have just graduated with e deg. In Aero Systems Eng. Although Im sure this isnt exactly much use directly!

Le Pen
6th Jan 2000, 19:41
BOVINGDON, DON'T DO IT............

There are a million reasons to stay well clear.

Email me if you want to.

love

Le Pen

spannersatcx
7th Jan 2000, 01:02
Wouldn't do anything else, there was a previous thread on this have a look through the archives or view pages within last 30days and you should find it.
There is always good and bad sides to every job. It really depends who you end up working for/with I guess.

Le Pen
8th Jan 2000, 13:33
Dont get me wrong, I love my job too, and wouldn't change for the world. But there are few jobs where the responsibity (?) are as high and the respect is as low.

Le Pen

Genghis the Engineer
8th Jan 2000, 16:26
Be fair Le Pen, Bovingdon's already got an Engineering degree so he knows that nobody in Engineering gets any respect - it's not just aircraft technicians.

The risk reward balance in Engineering: -

Risk: Public humiliation and the death of hundreds.

Reward: A certificate of appreciation in a plastic frame.

G

Le Pen
8th Jan 2000, 17:14
Hiya,
Good point G.......But having a degree in Aero Eng Systems dosn't meen he knows where the hangar is. Also the real question should be..........WHY????????????
Why would somone with this level of qualification want to work in a hanger?

Love

Le Pen

Bovingdon
9th Jan 2000, 04:45
Well..let me be completely honest...
(and hopefully not start a riot!)
I oobviously dont know how to get to the hangers...I wouldnt ask otherwise! :)
My ultimate goal is to become a driver at that pointy end. However, I dont want to put all my eggs in one basket. Just looking for other possibilities to work with planes, where there is an opening, either until the Golden Ticket arrives or if for some reason, I dont get there!!.

Monkey Grease
10th Jan 2000, 09:42
Hey Bovingdon,did you recently apply for a position at QF?

Bovingdon
11th Jan 2000, 03:31
No...why you ask?
Im in the Uk, so I guess thats a bit out of the question..(I wouldnt turn it down though!)

TwoDeadDogs
12th Jan 2000, 16:45
Bovvie
Ask yourself if you really want to get dirty,wet and treated as invisible for a living.If you want to be a pilot,do it now.They have a much easier, cleaner lifestyle which only gets ****ty in an emergency.The recent intake(cadets) also have an unpleasant level of arrogance about them,because they are led to believe that they are the best. Engineering can be one of the best jobs going but it also has absolutely dreadful times.
All the best
TDD

------------------
Drink,gurls,****,arse...

greaseytech
12th Jan 2000, 20:15
I can only agree with TDD. Some of the Smallie Boys think of themselves as aces of the base because they get to play with the onboard computers that fly the aircraft. I would seriously reconsider becoming an aircraft engineer. I have successfully yalked my kids out of following in my footsteps.

freddie the fish
13th Jan 2000, 23:16
Originally posted by Bovingdon:
Can anyone enlighten me on how to get started as a line/maintenance eng?
I understand you need to take exams and get type ratings for each a/c, however how can I get these? I have just graduated with e deg. In Aero Systems Eng. Although Im sure this isnt exactly much use directly!

Get a copy of the CAA section L which has all of the sylabus material listed and what exams you have to do, or speak to engineer licensing on 01293 573608 at Gatwick and they'll be able to give you literature.

Bovingdon
14th Jan 2000, 03:52
I wasnt trying to put down the Eng profession in any way!
I was interested in just working with planes as much as poss. before being acepted for any scheme or if I am unable to get there.
Are there any other areas I could look into if being a Grease Monkey is not recommended?!

Leatherman
14th Jan 2000, 04:43
hey Bov you should try Airbus as a field rep and try to get somewhere warm but not too much sand.Got to be a cushy highly paid number.You could do your flying bit at some local club.

spannersatcx
14th Jan 2000, 13:32
Bovington, I refer you to my earlier post. Every job has it's draw backs, not every pilot is happy with his lot. You have to way up everything for yourself. It depends who you work for and where. You normally only hear the bad side of things because those who are happy don't moan!
Good luck in whatever you do.

Bovingdon
18th Jan 2000, 04:14
Cheers everyone for all your help!
I'd be interested in looking into the Airbus thing, if I had any idea how to get there first!

What about any Eng type jobs which I could do UNTIL i start/obtain sponsorship for flying?
Clearly, some Eng. trades will not be suitable due to the extra training required!

monopulse
15th Feb 2000, 09:24

If you where a yank, Lockheed Martin would hire ya in a heartbeat. With their fingers in so many pies they probably grab up dozens of newbie engineers like yourself every day. Too bad they don't operate in your part of the...Hey, LM must be even a bigger monopoly than i originally thought:
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/006434.html

------------------
radar must be OTS...my primary knob is topped out and still no alphanumerics!