PDA

View Full Version : LG DVD multi drive trouble

BOAC
24th Jul 2005, 11:32
I purchased a LG4160 a while back. It would not read one particular set of commercial CDroms but read all the others. I got around that by copying these using an old CRROM writer and it reads the copies. I have just recently tried to burn some homemade DVDs. It will not recognise any DVD-R or DVD-RW blanks. Does anyone know what is wrong? Driver update completed.

Thinks - do I need another door-stop?

criticalmass
24th Jul 2005, 11:46
Download and install the latest firmware upgrade for the drive. I had to do this for my Plextor 708A DVD-burner.

Also, how old are the CD-ROMs the drive won't recognise? The dye-layer may be slowly deteriorating - it happens, and some environmental factors (heat and humidity changes) can accelerate this process. Cheap disks have lower-quality dye layers than the more up-market ones. I use Verbatim CD-ROMs and DVDs and refuse to use any other brand. My info is too precious to entrust to cheap media.

BOAC
24th Jul 2005, 12:40
CM - thanks - apologies for 'wasting' everyone's time - it turned out to be an 'install' problem as it worked ok in W2000 which gave me the clue, and a re-install in XP sorted it.