PDA

View Full Version : RAF Akrotiri

chrisburden21
24th Jul 2005, 08:25
To anybody that can help!!!

I am looking to get in contact with possibly the equivalent of the CCO/CRO at Akrotiri. Anybody really that could help with possibly arranging a visit to 84 SQN.

Cheers,

Chris.

Olly O'Leg
25th Jul 2005, 18:23
All I could find:-

www.procommercesolutions.co.uk/raffca/FlyingClubs/Akrotiri/akrotiri.htm (http://www.procommercesolutions.co.uk/raffca/FlyingClubs/Akrotiri/akrotiri.htm)

is the link for the flying club there - they might be able to help you further.

Olly

Pontius Navigator
26th Jul 2005, 06:37
Flying club. Figures. Read the LCRA thread. Maybe they are closed for the duration in case work crops up.

Regie Mental
26th Jul 2005, 12:04
How about writing either to the OC of 84 or to the Media Communication Officer at Akrotiri with your request. Alternatively get the base telephone number from the MoD operator/web and ask for whichever person you need. Not rocket science realy.

Kim Il Jong
26th Jul 2005, 12:21
Write to:

OC 84 Sqn
RAF Akrotiri
BFPO 57

A nice letter goes a long way but don't hold your breath....

4PON4PIN
26th Jul 2005, 15:23
HOOT AND ROOOAARR - Eighty Four !!!

'ee ' appen we supped some stuff at Sharjah & Bahrein!!!;)

Pontius Navigator
26th Jul 2005, 19:05
<<A nice letter goes a long way but don't hold your breath....>>

True but remember any written request comes under the FOI. Even a by the way can I have a copy of the coffe bar cleaning rota.

In other words you MUST get a reply within 20 working days.

Don't invoke the act first off though, give 'em a chance.

truckiebloke
27th Jul 2005, 12:20
yes, go on write a letter! but dont hold out much hope, because you really wouldn't want to upset the guys at holiday camp by actually making them do some work - after all, they do like to finish nice and early and have the whole of the airforce work around them and their opening hours!!!

southside
27th Jul 2005, 12:30
Why shouldn't he hold his breath? If he writes a nice letter to the OC 84 asking for a visit ...why would that request be turned down?

Are people not encouraged to visit RAF squadrons? Are requests for visits normally turned down?

brakedwell
27th Jul 2005, 13:22
4PON4PIN
HOOT AND ROAR WITH EIGHTY FOUR .. .. STAY ALIVE WITH ONE O FIVE!! Remenber?

Regie Mental
27th Jul 2005, 15:35
Or 'Bu**er me, it's 203' when the St Mawg guys and gals were there in 2003. Those zaps of a Sea Horse committing a decidedly unnatural act to a Scorpion appeared everywhere at the time, much to the chagrin of OC 84.

Kim Il Jong
28th Jul 2005, 06:21
Southside:

Because the ratio of visit requests/hours in the day on 84 is v high on 84, thats why! They will usually bend over backwards to accommodate most reasonable requests but can't handle them all. The amount of high powered visits they can't turn off is F**kin crazy. Every AOC/General/Admiral Blah has a strange affinity for the place.

truckiebloke:

<calm mode> Don't tar 84 with the ATC/Mover brush. <Default mode>:mad:

southside
28th Jul 2005, 10:38
Well they ought to work harder. My sqdn has, on average 6/7 visits a day(the record was in May when we had 14 separate visits in a day - Fab). Ranging from School kids to Jodie Kidd, Geoff Hoon to Mrs Miggins who runs the local Towns womens guild.

Visits are an extremely important aspect of our business and should not be taken lightly.

Kim Il Jong
28th Jul 2005, 13:07
Agreed! :yuk: Anyone got contact details for the Swedish beach volleyball team?:}

Neeps
28th Jul 2005, 13:10
along the topic of visits....

For a wannabe pilot awaiting an OASC date, can anyone recommend a station? I know most of the black and white information of what station does what but not obviously the first hand knowledge of what that base is like. I've been to Lyneham, Boulmer, Linton and Valley and enjoyed all of them. So if anyone has any recommendations then that would be great. :ok:

Nikki

southside
28th Jul 2005, 13:40
How about Yeovilton or Culdrose.

Neeps
28th Jul 2005, 13:49
I'm sure they are both quite interesting being air stations, but I'm applying to the RAF. Sorry if I didn't make that known :\

6foottanker
28th Jul 2005, 21:24
The new RAF policy is to only accept 6 foot tall, slim blondes for station visits, after it was announced the MOD overspent on its fuel budget, and had to compensate in other areas!:ok:

Neeps
31st Jul 2005, 20:40
Damn, I'm ony a 5'9 slim brunette. I guess blondes really do have more fun! ;)