PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter down in NSW

MPT
24th Jul 2005, 07:34
G'day All,

Just heard this on the radio:

"A PILOT escaped death when his helicopter crashed in bushland near Mount White on the New South Wales central coast today.

The accident happened in an inaccessible area of bushland near the township of Kulmura about noon (AEST), police said.
PolAir rescue workers found a small fire at the scene but the pilot, who was the sole occupant, was unharmed.

Police are investigating."

source (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16032717-29277,00.html)

Cheers,

MPT

cyclicpushover
24th Jul 2005, 08:44
Just seen on the news a yellow Bell 47 landed with an engine fire at Mount White. Looks like the same machine that operates out of Dynamic Helicopters at Bankstown.

zhishengji751
24th Jul 2005, 10:50
Pilot was Barry Morris, as reported on Channel Nine TV.

Heres an interesting part of the report:

voiceover: Barry believes the engine caught fire because the choppers fuel was stolen overnight at Taree from where he took off this morning.

Barry:Refuelled it and checked everything and started heading off down to Bankstown from where it was going to be relocated.

:ooh:

B206B-III
24th Jul 2005, 23:53
The machine was the ex-Dynamic Helicopters (formerly Cloud 9 Helicopters) Bell 47G-3B-1, VH-YEP.

There has been damage done and fuel stealing at Taree with aircraft left overnight at that airport for some years now. There is a problem there.

Happy ending after a very scary incident.

cyclicpushover
27th Jul 2005, 09:35
Chance spotting today of VH-YEP flying nap-of-earth (looking undignified on the back of a truck!)heading south.Only got a glimpse but looked OK minus MR blades.

Does anyone know the future of this old beast?

Also, mondays paper

Quote "The pilot, Barry Morris made a 000 call from his mobile phone at 11.15am and then managed to bring the crippled chopper down ...."

Surely that would be a handfull, bringing a crippled chopper down, making radio calls a milion other things and a phone call!!:E

B206B-III
1st Aug 2005, 23:57
The helicopter is currently housed at Flight Support's hangar, Bankstown Airport. Apparently damage is worse than first thought. Damage to M/R blades, head, swashplate, engine, transmission, fuel tanks and fuel system, engine basket, skids. About the only things not affected are the extreme ends of the machine, being T/R blades and assembly, and the bubble and contents. The plan is to write it off, as damage has been assessed at around 70% of the aircraft. Pity. It was a pretty 47. Had a custom panel as well.

heli_spy
2nd Aug 2005, 11:55
What a shame they're going to write it off. I did my commercial flight test in YEP and can vouch for the fact it was a nice 47. Glad to hear the pilot got down in one piece- testament to the ace flying skills of the Aussie pilots!

heli1
19th Aug 2005, 15:50
Hey cobbers..anyone link me to the owner? I'm looking for a 47G-3B1 bubble for a museum in the UK.

Jetboxer
19th Aug 2005, 23:20
Send the 47 bubble over with 'The Ashes'!!!!!

On a serious note - good to hear no one was hurt!!

vortexstate
20th Aug 2005, 09:49
Was there not a R44 involved in a dynamic rollover situation in the Sydney basin area the other day? Saw something on the late night news highlights, then nothing.......:confused:

belly tank
21st Aug 2005, 23:27
Vortex,

Yeah, it was a white R44 with fixed floats, i beleive it was at Kurrajong where the accident took place, i saw it on the news also. but heard nothing since

Update Pics

http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/download.php?id=1043

MPT
31st Aug 2005, 08:26
G'day bt,

You don't know whose machine it was do you (or the rego)? The link wouldn't work for me.

Cheers,

MPT