PDA

View Full Version : Go get a job now or do ATPL's now???

propwash85
24th Jul 2005, 06:43
G'day,

Just finished my training with a CPL and instrument rating and now have the question of, do i do my ATPL's before I leave to go find a job and then have nothing to worry about or do I go and find that job and hope I can manage with doing the ATPL's on the side??? I've had lots of different opinions......after anyone elses!

Cheers.

aussie.pilot..
24th Jul 2005, 07:40
Do the ATPL subjects before you go and get a job.

I know too many charter pilots who are trying to do thier subjects while working, and it doen't work. They end up having to take holidays to do a full time course..............and who wants to study on your holidays? Not me!

Cronus
24th Jul 2005, 08:09
Without a doubt go and get the ATPL theory done!

Regards,
Cronus

CaptainToBe
24th Jul 2005, 08:48
I agree with everyone on here. Do it now while you're still in study mode, and while things are still somewhat fresh in your memory. I have 3 more to finish off, and while im getting through them pretty quickly, I wish I had already done them as its only holding up my progression at this stage. Bite the bullet, get them done and you won't have to worry about any of this in the future. Also, consider that once you have them finished and you're in the right spot at the right time with a position becoming available, there wont be any reason why it couldnt be yours!

In case you are wondering, there are plenty of posts on where to go for the theory side of the subjects, I have used Gavin Secombe for 3 and he has been awesome (www.atpl.com.au). PM me for more details if youre interested, only too happy to help.

Killer Loop
24th Jul 2005, 11:11
I agree with everyone here and especially with Captain to be. Just finnished mine off with Gavin Secombe and he really is an amazing teacher. He really does make flight planning easy!

Non Normal
24th Jul 2005, 12:37
Get the ATPL done but continue job-hunting and take the job if you are offered one AND do the ATPL (by distance learning if the timetables don't allow for having a job and attending classes).

PropDuster
25th Jul 2005, 01:14
Definitly do you subjects now while you can.

I did 4 subjects before getting a full time flying gig and man do I regret not finishing the rest.

It's a no brainer working full time and studying, you'll also find yourself in a position where your progression will come to a grinding halt without the frozen ATPL (I'll be there very soon)

Gavin Secombe is the man.

Regards
Prop

:ok:

Jawz
25th Jul 2005, 10:55
There is the other side of the coin here!

Remember that it will be a few years till you go for an airline position, so in that time u will probably forget everything u learnt. I did mine at 3000 hours and was glad to be able to answer the atpl questions in my interview with all the info fresh in my head. Leaves time to concentrate on flying, regs and company info !!

PS Secombe is the man x2

Kiwi63
25th Jul 2005, 21:08
Mate, just check on the hours requirement for the ATPL. If you do the subjects I think they only last for a few years before you have to have the required number of flying hours to apply for the ATPL, otherwise..do the exams again. And that sucks. I have done heaps of study while having full time jobs, both aviation and university degrees, and it's not a big one if you are dedicated, stay off the booze, and focus on the end result. My advice, concentrate on getting a job first. Perhaps start studying in the meantime for one ATPL subject...do them one at a time slow time and you'll find that they are not too bad.

CaptainToBe
25th Jul 2005, 22:32
Kiwi63, I am under the impression that the only time requirement is that you must complete all 7 exams within 3 years. Once you have done that, there is no time requirement to get the hours needed for the ATPL, ie, once you pass all 7 exams within 3 years, you can get the hours as slowly or quickly as you like and still get the ATPL licence when you get the number of hours you need.

Tinpis2
26th Jul 2005, 00:33
captaintobe is right. there is no other requirement other than the 3 year factor. i wasnt asked atpl questions in my airline interview. the atpl subjects arent necessarily for you to gain knowledge for airline operations. they are merely a test of your intelligence and your ability to be able to cope with the information that you would have to in the airliners. however it isnt expected that too much of the theory would be remembered when going for the interviews, such as certain BRW's and different mach no.s in different conditions.

I agree with most of the comments already posted. I did them before my first job though and 5 yeays later obtained my airline job. Specific ATPL knowledge wasnt really looked at however (obviously) they did want passes in all the subjects!

WHITE XXXX
27th Jul 2005, 14:33
DO THEM NOW, If I could go back in time the advice i'd give myself would be 1. If it looks like a man it probably is a man. 2. Do your ATPL's now. Take it from someone who fart arsed around & ended up sitting F/P on the last day of my 3 year window. Good Luck

Tinpis2
28th Jul 2005, 23:54
white xxxx,

please tell me you passed.

i know someone that left systems for the last day of the 3 year period............and failed! poor guy had to do the whole lot again. get all that crap done and out of the way propwash85!

druglord
29th Jul 2005, 10:24
at least get the hard ones done now. You can save MET/NAV/PERF for correspondence if need be.