PDA

View Full Version : Broadband/Wireless speed question.........

BRL
23rd Jul 2005, 23:19
Hi all. My broadband is running at 2.2Mbps and my wireless modem/rouer indicates 54.0Mbps. So, is this as simple as it looks that when on wireless I am loosing quite some speed?
cheers,
Confused,
Brighton................

Agent86
24th Jul 2005, 00:24
Ah..which is bigger 54 or 2.2 :D ... that should answer your question

Wireless "should" not be a restriction on broadband transfer rates. The only time I find wireless slows me down is when I am transferring big files between laptop and desktop. So then I just click in the network cable.

BEagle
24th Jul 2005, 06:10
The limiting factor regarding Internet connection is the ISP's ADSL rate. Your computer can talk to the wireless router at whatever speed you like; however, the router will only talk to the Internet at the ADSL rate you're contracted to.

My Internet connection is shared between 2 wireless-enabled laptop computers, both talk to the modem/router by 802.11b connection at up to 11 Mbps. However, the ISP only provides a 1 Mbps ADSL Internet connection.

I haven't bothered to network the 2 computers as any files are transferred/archived to the back-up using a USB stick.

timmcat
24th Jul 2005, 08:16
In summary BRL, your wireless speed is far, far faster than your ADSL link. You can see a good example of this if you try to wirelessly transfer a file from one PC to another - a 100MB file which might take anything between 10 and 30 minutes (depending on your broadband connection speed) to download from the internet will take just seconds to move from PC1 to PC2 (or vice versa).

Hope this helps.

Conan the Librarian
24th Jul 2005, 10:41
Don't forget that the actual wireless strength, between computer and router will be compromised by distance or location and as a consequence you will lose speed here, though if it makes a "big" difference to your workflow, I would be surprised indeed. It is always going to give a more solid performance, if you are plugged in via ethernet, but the beauty of wireless is of course in the freedom it offers.

I for instance am sitting out here typing this reply on the patio in the pouring rain, freezing my rocks off, sipping a glass of Pimms and watching the outdoor mains sockets arcing prettily. That freedom to operate away from a fixed network should stand me in good stead when the men in the white coats come back.

Conan

Sundays - it were ever thus...