PDA

View Full Version : A big X-Country

Geoffersincornwall
23rd Jul 2005, 20:06
Anybody got any experience doing a Halifax to Vancouver in a 120 kt chopper. Need advice on route, good places, bad places, things to do and not to do, weather, crossing the Rockies and probably a lot more.

MightyGem
24th Jul 2005, 07:24
Follow the Trans Canada highway west of Calgary through the Rockies. The scenery is out of this world!

B Sousa
24th Jul 2005, 07:26
Mighty Gem is right. One word of advice is dont get pushed by weather. If its not good, enjoy Canada, it will be better tomorrow.

SASless
24th Jul 2005, 12:29
If that includes going through the mountains at Jasper to Prince ?George and a left turn down to Vancouver....absolutely! Did a flight from Deadhorse, Alaska to Lafayette, Louisana one time going that way....in the fall when the leaves had turned....Beautiful!

Looking at the map...one could argue for going into the USA....and see Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington too. Lots of pretty country that way too.

Geoffersincornwall
24th Jul 2005, 12:53
That sounds interesting but what's it like flying a foreign reg machine (Dutch) in US airspace given the current security situation? Don't want to get shot down crossing the border!!

407 Driver
24th Jul 2005, 13:07
I'm on the Trans-Canada route, in the middle of the rockpile .... the west slopes of the Rockies, and the east slopes of the Columbia Mountains. If you choose that route, let me know. :ok:

SASless
24th Jul 2005, 13:11
Aw Poo...Geoffers.....I am not up on border crossing now days....but it poses an interesting scenario. Dutch machine, British pilot, entering the US and then leaving again across the country.

If you flight plan the shortest route (usually not the most scenic how ever)....and it shows entering the USA which I am pretty sure it will....I bet it will not be a major problem....but advance contact with the FAA FSDO in the area where you wish to enter might be advised as well as ensuring you have the correct paperwork for the Customs guys.

I promise you this....you better have a load manifest (US Customs version) ready when you land in the USA....no sense of humour those guys. They can assess you a 1000 USD penalty on the spot....but only notify you by mail months later.

Geoffersincornwall
24th Jul 2005, 13:25
That's what I call 'a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse'. We'll stay clear of the US unless we get stuck.

SASless
24th Jul 2005, 14:03
The Load manifest is a simple one page, takes you two minutes to fill out, form. It is just one must have it or risk the not-so-friendly folks at Customs getting awkward about it. It must be noted the only place I felt mis-treated was at the land crossing at Sweet Grass, Montana....must be the agents in question were not at their posting of choice from what I saw. Sent an unkind message to their Inspector General's Office about it.

Don't put it off without checking with the FAA and the Customs guys....some awfully pretty flying in the States. Both have stretches of miles of miles of miles as you cross the prairie land. Flat...square....windy. Some awfully pretty corn fed ladies however.:ok:

Geoffersincornwall
24th Jul 2005, 14:36
Thanks for the tip. Can you pick up a Customs Form in Canada do you know?

KENNYR
24th Jul 2005, 14:50
Follow the trans-canada highway. Give Quebec a huge miss!!!!!! (Unless you can speak fluent French and enjoy meeting ignorant people). Sault Ste Marie in Northern Ontario is a nice place for a stop-over. From Edmonton to Jasper there is a nice little town called Edson, good folk there, very helpful and they carry jet fuel.
Jasper is a grass strip with no services. Banff is beautiful but watch the wind, it comes from both directions down the runway!

For further info I would suggest you log on to Jetthrust.com and ask the question there as well, it is a friendly Canadian aviation site (Mods....this is not advertising, just trying to help the gentleman out!!! OK?)

Allow about 3 - 4 days for the crossing. Its fun!!

SASless
24th Jul 2005, 15:06
Geoffers....

The load manifest may only be required for commercial flights...not private flights such as yours.

Here is a link that might be of use to you. Click on the Table of Contents line....

http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/GPF/

Geoffersincornwall
24th Jul 2005, 16:01
thanks guys - getting some good stuff

B Sousa
24th Jul 2005, 16:07
Dont mess with customs. They have gone from being a good Law Enforcement agency to a group of "hire the handicapped". All part of the 911 "We hire anyone in the name of security" concept.
I dealt a lot with them crossing borders in the caribbean and its amazing how low the IQ has dipped.
Better have all your forms ready
www.customs.ustreas.gov

IHL
24th Jul 2005, 17:27
Hi Geoff...cornwall.

Make sure you have a current up-to-date charts and a current Canada Flight Supplement (Airport digest).

You can get them from NavCanada,
Publications (http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.asp?Language=en&Content=ContentDefinitionFiles\Publications\AeronauticalInfo Products\default.xml)

Weather: WX (http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca/cgi-bin/CreePage.pl?Langue=anglais&NoSession=NS_Inconnu&Page=forecast-observation&TypeDoc=html)

Disregard the comments about Quebec. Most people are nice, of course you can find rude and ignorant people there just as one can find rude and ignorant people everywhere else on the planet.

Watch the weather around Lake Superior, it can be treacherous at times.

When are you planning the trip?

paco
24th Jul 2005, 20:27
I would do as most people have suggested - avoid the US, route through New Brunswick, Quebec, Ottawa and West!

Helicopters Magazine (don't quite know the website) has a complete list of all operators, who you might like to stop off with - check they're not on fires, though! All the phone numbers will be in there.

Another useful website is www.canada411.com, which is the national telephone directory.

It's 9-12 hours from Dryden to Calgary - and be prepared to talk to Winnipeg when you wish to talk to Dryden all that will be in the CFS

Don't mess with the weather and take some photos for us!

Phil

B Sousa
24th Jul 2005, 21:12
As to IHL and the Quebecies, not a problem. They are French Wannabes and speak mainly French, American Express, Master Card and Visa. Great Restaurants in Montreal or Quebec City.