PDA

View Full Version : easyjet to Virgin blue???!!!!

easyswimmer
23rd Jul 2005, 20:00
Hi,

I have got a JAR ATPL with 800 hours on Dash8 and currently 500 737NG but rated on EG as well.

Im looking into moving to Australia in the next couple of years, or when hours/experience would allow.

Would really appreciate any help or advice form anyone who has done it or anyone who is willing to help - especially virgin blue drivers. I have done a search and found out about the licence/visa stuff, it is more the practicalities that im interested in.

I wouldn't mind going back onto a prop as it is the lifestyle and future for my family which is behind the move!!

Cheers

Alien Sex God
24th Jul 2005, 03:49
Ha ha ha. Join the cue!

propaganda
24th Jul 2005, 07:42
It's a oneway street....always has been always will be...

easyswimmer
24th Jul 2005, 13:51
Ok - thanks for that! why is it a one way queue? Surely they need 737 drivers with experience (not that i have that yet)? Whats the catch? Who are they employing now? Helpful advice would help.

Any VB guys out there who can tell me what the situation is? PM if you like.

Wizofoz
24th Jul 2005, 14:41
Hi easyswimmer,

Don't be completely put off by the negativitey here, but, as one of the many who has gone in the other direction let me try and explain-

Firstly, Australia has a very large GA scene in relation to the size of its' airlines. It is therefore not uncomman for pilots to have several thousand hours, mostly multi-engine command, before being considered by the airlines. Indeed, it is a requirement to have 750 hrs command time before you can be PIC of a transport aircraft. This is not time you can acumulate in the RHS, you need it before you join. Whilst time on type is good, Virgin are a fund-your-own-type-rating airline, so they are happy enough getting non-rated but high hour people from GA.

Secondly, if by "Going back to props" you mean getting a job flying Turbo-props, that is almost as hard as landing a jet job, as the legion of pilots who didn't get an airline job, but are now even MORE experienced, are obviously after turbo-prop jobs as the next-best thing.

The usual avenue for pilots in Aus is to obtain a job flying pistons in the outback. You are simultainiously over-qualified for these, but lack virtually any relevant experience for this type of position.

Added to this is the fact you have a family. Living in Aus in one of the major cities or large coastal towns is great. Sunshine, beaches, relaxed attitudes and all that. Financially, taxation wise, housing cost wise etc. etc. you will not be signifigantly better off than in Europe, and carreer and education wise you kids will not be signifigantly advantaged (We actually have our kids in EXCELLENT state schooling in the UK, whilst we were going to have to fund private in Aus.).

Living in an Outback, rural community, however, is an entirerly different matter. Oppresively hot, limited cultural and liesure facilities, LOUSY education (Most families in the outback who can afford it send their kids to boarding school) and, in the first instance, you will be on SERIOUSLY bad money (Try the equivalent of £8000 p.a.).

That's the game as I see it and why, with around 14 000hrs, I'm looking out my Manchester window at the rain!!

If you really want to go to Aus, SERIOUSLY think about a change of professtion.

easyswimmer
24th Jul 2005, 16:46
Thank you wizifoz for your post - exactly the info I was after and what I feared.

If I had a couple of thousand hours LHS on a 737 or a trainer make any difference? Would that make me more sought after?

Would not being a local boy go against me in any event?

Lastly do you think the industry will expand significantly to change all of this in the next say, 5 years?

Thanks again - lots of help!

Wizofoz
24th Jul 2005, 18:11
Hi easy,

Some command time would make you employable by VB, but neither they nor any of the large regional Turbo-prop opertors take DECs, so you'd be going back to the RHS.

No, there is no discrimination because of where you come from. The only problem is you won't "Fit the mould" with regards experience and background, simply because the system is so much different where you come from.

I've no crystal ball, but my feeling is expantion will be incremental rather than explosive for the next little while.

Hope this helps. BTW where are you based?

757manipulator
24th Jul 2005, 18:29
Easy..as someone who has come in the opposite direction....OZ..to the UK, you need to be aware of the narrow minded and protection minded aviation industry that exists back home.
As has been stated before, airlines cling onto a requirement of 500-750 hours multi-engine PIC before you can even interview for a position on a transport category aircraft. Seems odd doesnt it?..but its the norm, they will look at your application...see that youve got x so many thousands of hours on a baby boeing, then dismiss your proffessional experience and skills because you dont have the required PIC time.
One other thing, dont expect an airline to help you with any immigration issues.
Id suggest you stay at the Big Orange, get your command, then attack your plan from a position of strength.

Cheers 757