PDA

View Full Version : A/C Maintainance Apprenticeships

Boeing Freak
29th Dec 1999, 01:47
I am currently doing some research for my younger brother on the possibility of doing an apprenticeship. There does not seem to be too much available at the moment!! He is only 16 so time is in hand. He has found out about the BA scheme ect but I would be very grateful to learn of any others that are available or if he would be better off going to college to get a formal qualification.

Cheers

Boeing Freak

spanners
29th Dec 1999, 02:02
hi
I did a BA apprencticeship (3 Year a/c mechanical maint.)
I had an absolutley great time doing it, but remember BA will now require apprentices to go anywhere. (Glasgow at the moment for 737 majors).
The actual training and time that you spend in the school is very good. (I believe that cranebank as an apprentice training school is gone now though.....)
I would do the BA thing if accepted.
regds
spanners

Panman
29th Dec 1999, 04:24
I am currently doing an CAA approved AB Initio course at Northbrook college. It consists basically of 2 years classroom based work and 6-8 months work experience at the end of which you go for the license exam with the CAA. Don't know if you have considered this option - you can apply for a grant if need be.

spannersatcx
29th Dec 1999, 11:59
Try asking the ALAE at http://www.lae.mcmail.com there is an e-mail address on the site and they may be able to help, there's also a links page that will take you to afew well known airlines websites and FLS. Good Luck. Also try FLS, they used to do them. Also BAMC (British Airways Maintenance Cardiff) http://www.bamc.co.uk I think.

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 29 December 1999).]

Genghis the Engineer
29th Dec 1999, 13:32
DERA (Defence Evaluation and Research Agency) still do aircraft technician apprenticeships at Boscombe Down.

Might be worth looking on their website for details.

LME (GOD)
29th Dec 1999, 18:33
Try ATC Lasham, a heavy maintenance company in Hampshire. 01256-356123, they take on about 6 every year. :)

------------------
It flew in, it'll fly out

Boeing Freak
30th Dec 1999, 00:03
Thanks for the replies

Best info I've had so far

Cheers

Bus429
30th Dec 1999, 00:59
Did mine at AEL/MAEL '78-'82. Well worth it.

Flying Banana
1st Jan 2000, 22:00
Did an avionic apprecticeship with British Aeroflot in '90. Apprenticeship is great fun and very good, however I would avoid BA at the moment, 'big announcment' in engineering coming in March, rumour has it redundancies, lousy shift pattern (7on 3off 7on 4off), large reduction in line maintenance and morale is below floor level, coupled with managers who couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery not the best place to be at the moment.

Don't let that put you off tho.... :rolleyes:

Noted With Thanks
3rd Jan 2000, 05:42
Yet again you have come in contact with an ex BA apprentice sept 92 this time as with flyingbanana i wouldn't rush into joining the almighty BA (even if it is one of the better options!)
Back to your question though I believe the following have similar apprenticeships
Monarch (Luton based)
FLS (wouldn't recommend but still an option HQ is in Stanstead)
Air2000 (don't know much about this one but hq is in Manchester
Britania (Luton based)

Best of luck

Flying Banana
3rd Jan 2000, 20:02
Noted with thanks, you ever been at LGW (alpha tech mainly?)

spanners
3rd Jan 2000, 21:46
The times might be bad at BA, but they are probably just as bad at any other airline in todays climate. As an initiant into the business, purely looking at the apprenticeship, I would say do a BA one if offered.
I had a great time during my apprenticeship and had a great laugh, and made some good friends.

Noted With Thanks
3rd Jan 2000, 23:31
Didn't want to put anyone off but I quite agree BA is the number one apprenticeship and has a social life to match so yes if offered take it

:) :) :) :)

The hippy
4th Jan 2000, 02:31
why bother with an apprenticeship,wait till you are 19 then go to one of the colleges that runs the muti licence courses, do two years study (now you`re 21, so you can hold a licence) then with a bit of luck you will have several licences under your belt, and due to the shortage of engineers a job should not be far behind with a few approval courses a nice salary will be next. Where as an apprenticeship may lead to battles with bosses for couses and time off. some councils even give grants for this type of futher education. :rolleyes: