PDA

View Full Version : Boroscope

HighSpeed
25th Dec 1999, 11:33
could someone give a brief description of what is acutally done during an eng boroscope ? always wondered but never had a chance to see it for myself.

HS

spannersatcx
25th Dec 1999, 18:26
Normally a check of HP turbine blades for cracking bits missing etc, depending on why you are doing it, you may also need to check IP/LPT and/or Compressor blades. Also in case of RR 211 combustion liner for damage/missing bits etc. MM lays down what you are allowed missing/cracked, good guide is cooling holes on RR RB21-524 HPT blades are 2mm apart.
You'd be surprised on some of the allowable damage limits.

Pikvanman
25th Dec 1999, 19:57
It is a way of checking the material condition of an engine,well the gas path anyway.It might be called on routinely or for other reasons such as ingestion or parameters shift.
I don't do them any more myself but the professional who does needs to be very patient type and firm because no one wants to give the correct time to do the job and everyone disappears when it's time to wrap up the job!Strike a note with anyone out there?

spannersatcx
26th Dec 1999, 22:03
sorry

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 26 December 1999).]

spannersatcx
26th Dec 1999, 22:18
sorry again

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 26 December 1999).]

spannersatcx
26th Dec 1999, 22:56
Highspeed, this is the HPT of an RB211-524.
The space is where a blade should be! http://www.lae.mcmail.com/images/blade.jpg

Le Pen
26th Dec 1999, 23:32
Spanners,

Top pic, Top Man

------------------
Nil Fault Found.....My A**e

WideBodiedEng
27th Dec 1999, 00:35
Spanners
BRILLIANT!

------------------
The Stamp is mightier than the Toolbox!!

gas path
27th Dec 1999, 01:59
i've seen a GE90 with 3 of those missing.... from the second stage hpt though!!!!
-----------------------------------
my guess thats a strategy 2b blade if it's
off of a g/h eng. The 2c doesn't normally fail like that, they just get tatty !!!

[This message has been edited by gas path (edited 26 December 1999).]

SeldomFixit
27th Dec 1999, 05:43
OK SPANNERS !!!!!!!!!
Who told you that you could post my colonoscopy pics here ????

Getting back to the origonal question here - "what is normally done during a boro" ?
The REAL truth of it is that 2 or more guys are generally standing round looking at each other whilst the greaser on the eyepiece is asking " what in the hell am I looking at ? ".
At least that's the case if you have the Boro gear that passes as an inspection kit here.

CCA
28th Dec 1999, 05:10
Spanner's how'd you do that I tried to put a picture on a while ago but failed.

Checkboard
28th Dec 1999, 11:31
First you need to upload your picture to a website server. If you have a personal page, you can use that, however I use a free page available from The globe.com (http://www.theglobe.com/). Just click on the "Build a homepage" bit, under "Services" at the top right, and then follow the directions.

When you upload your photos, save them in either JPEG format, for economy of size, or GIF format to retain true image quality. JPEG compression economizes on the way picture information is stored, and identifies and discards extra information not essential to the display of the photo. JPEG photos are automatically decompressed when they are opened.

Keep the image file size as small as is reasonable: save it in 2 bits per pixel for B&W, 4 bits per pixel (which gives 16 colors, good enough for most applications) or 8 bits per pixel. (gives 256 colors - good for anything on the screen, and if you use anymore than that the guys at PPRuNe get annoyed at the size of the image uploaded.) Using the "Advanced" section on the "Save As..." portion of your graphics program should allow you to determine the bits per pixel & format you require.

Once the file is uploaded to a server, you can now print it on this BB by using the UBB code:

the URL (address) of your image

Other UBB codes (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/ubbcode.html) are shown on the faq (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/faq.html)

If you see an image elsewhere on the web that you want to repeat here then it is even easier, as the image is already supported on a server somewhere.

Right click on that image and select "View image" so that the image loads on a separate page. Copy the image URL (address) from the location bar at the top of your browser page, then use the UBB code, as above.

[This message has been edited by Checkboard (edited 28 December 1999).]

CCA
28th Dec 1999, 21:52
Ok off the subject I know put the photo on this site but ****ed if i can get it on prune !
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/boeing747?ge&.alabel=alb2&.pindex=5&start=1
This one above.

[This message has been edited by CCA (edited 30 December 1999).]

spannersatcx
28th Dec 1999, 23:36
CCA the ref you put in is for a web page and not specifically a pic on it, or were you just pointing us in the general direction. See checkboards post and use tags.
Hope that helps.
[img]http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/commercial/C4A-747-400.jpg

View the page source in your browser so you can see how it is done.

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 28 December 1999).]

spanners
29th Dec 1999, 02:21
Hi All
I used to be an authorised boroscope inspector on RB211 core, CFM56 and GE90 engs.
All are pretty similar in what you inspect for, ie compressor blades and gaspath, combustion chambers etc, but also fuel spray nozzles and domes as well as metering panels. I inspected a few 211s and grounded a few after finding faults with them (A couple of bad eng failures in flt including the 747 out of Buenos Aires led to a fleet check).
As mentioned before, you also look at turbine blades and nozzle guide vanes etc as well. All limits for damage is contained in the MM although to some degree it can all be down to the individual's interpretation of the damage. It was always best to get a second opinion if in question, but my former employer started trying out a new fangled invention to measure crack lenghths etc with digital camera equipment linked to a portable PC to carry out image processing to find out lenghts determined by cursor points. (Works only if you hold the camera tip at90 degrees to the damage.)
Anyway, I'm flying them now, and know whats inside the motors, what am I doing!!!????
Regds

[This message has been edited by spanners (edited 28 December 1999).]

TwoDeadDogs
29th Dec 1999, 04:17
Hi,scopesters,
Two scope stories for your delectation.Yours truly was peering at the innards of an engine when the tip got stuck at a tight curve.Much sweat was immediately generated.Self was using an Olympus kit.I managed to extract the offender after prodding it with another probe after much effort.Needed many beers to replace lost sweat.
Episode two was a colleague who inserted same type of kit into a PT-6 for a nose around.After a few minutes of waggling the tip about,it fell off and rattled it's way down into the innards.Imagine the silence...By sheer luck,the tip landed on a plug at the bottom(of the can?),which was unscrewed to reveal the offending item.Relief was'nt the word.
Cheers
TDD

------------------
Drink,gurls,****,arse...

CCA
30th Dec 1999, 07:07
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/boeing747?ge&.alabel=alb2&.pindex=5&start=1

why is this happening

Checkboard
30th Dec 1999, 09:25
You doing everything correctly, but you are trying to access a picture from a password protected yahoo site, and yahoo is refusing access to the image you want.

You might try copying the picture to your hard drive (Right click on it, the "Save Image As...") and then uploading the image to another (non-password protected) server, as I outlined above.

Hope this helps.

CCA
31st Dec 1999, 00:30
Thank's Checkboard and Spanner's I'll be a wiz at this one day.

wiz ! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/005750.html thank's again.